1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

50 'best'/ must read children/teenage fiction books.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by arcturus, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Sorry, I forgot the Wolf Brother series by Michelle Paver - I read the first one in 20 minute bites over more than a term, but the group were still hooked to the end. The same went for My Sword Hand Is Singing by Marcus Sedgewick.

2. The Old Powder Line - Richard Parker

3. All of the Green Knowe books are brilliant, loved them when I was a child.

4. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

One of the James Herriot books? My friend made her decision to become a vet at the age of 10 after reading them...

5. The Ray Riodan series starting with Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief.

6. Are you there God it's me Margret-Judy Blume
    Perfect book about growing up issues for Girls, still remember it almost off by heart now must have read it 100's of times from about 12-16!

7. I haven't found this to be the case at all and, while I cannot say I've read everything available, I do primarily tend to read YA fiction.
    Perhaps it's just a matter of luck and that my choices have been fortuitous, but in the past few years, the only teen author I have felt patronised by is Stephenie Meyer, where the poor characterisation in her self-insertion 'literature' which made me wince. I persevered thinking, 'it must get better' but was sadly mistaken. Likewise, I have often had to persevere my way through a number of so-called 'classics' and wouldn't recommend them to anyone (particularly children who might be put off reading for life, if they assumed that was the best I could offer) - though judging by this list, I am in a minority.
    I follow some favourite authors' blogs, and I have discovered that they will often recommend books (new and old) which they find worthwhile - from which I create personal reading lists, to work my way through slowly.
    One such blog is by the relatively-new Irish YA author Sarah Rees Breenan, and her love of language is evident in her own stories and those she recommends. For enthusiastic book pimpage please go here:
    http://sarahtales.livejournal.com/tag/book%20recommendations
    for such authors as Robin McKinley, Dianna Wynne Jones, Jane Austen, Agatha Christie, Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, Scott Westerfeld, Carrie Ryan, Kelley Armstrong, RJ Anderson, Mira Grant, Jennifer Lynne Barnes, Karen Healey, Sarah Waters, Justine Larbalastier, Diana Peterfreund, Sarah Cross, Scott Lynch, many other authors ... and, of course, her own books (The Demon's Lexicon & The Demon's Covenant) are well worth the effort of shelf-hunting.
    And as my own contribution to your list: Terry Pratchett is awesome (anything). Neil Gaiman is also awesome, in a different way (Neverwhere & Stardust stand out for me). Put the two together for Good Omens = lightning!
    And to cosmos - Georgette Heyer ftw! ;)

8. Hi
    I always think asking people is a good idea! [​IMG]
    My list is
    • Stig of the Dump
    • Skellig
    • If you are going for Enid Blyton my favourites were The Magic Faraway Tree stories
    • Phillip Pullman, His Dark Materials trilogy
    • To Kill a Mockingbird
    • The Boy in the striped Pyjamas, John Boyne
    • Holes, Louis Sacher
    • Noughts and Crosses trilogy, Malorie Blackman
    • The Secret Garden, Francis Hodgson Burnett
    • The Narnia Chronicles, CS Lewis
    My kids loved
    • Scribbleboy, Philip Ridley
    • Refugee Boy or Face by Benjamin Zephaniah
    • Angus, Thongs and Full-frontal Snogging (sorry - but they really did!)
    • The Wind Singer trilogy, William Nicholson
    • The Boy in a Dress, David Walliams
    • The BFG, Dahl
    good luck!

9. And to cosmos - Georgette Heyer ftw! ;)

What is ftw?

10. The Owl Who Was Afraid Of The Dark was a favourite of mine.

11. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. There have been lots of additions since I last logged in so I will add to the list and upload once again. I have uploaded the list to the resource site if anyone is interested...the link is on an earlier page (12/13 round there!!)

I have already spoken to my librarian and she is fully on board. She has already contributed to the list and is going to co-run the project. I definitely want her to have a significant involvement in the reading project.

I will also consult with the children to reduce our massive list down from 150 to 50.

To those people who have been quick to critcise my asking for opinions. This is an educational forum. I am compiling this list for educational purposes and although I am exploring the appropriate avenues, I saw no harm in asking for opinions on this site as well. It was a light hearted request and many people have commented on how it has been an interesting thread and a jog down memory lane. Sometimes people are so quick to criticise others on here for their requests and comments etc that you do begin to wonder what this forum is for especially if it comes to the point where you can't ask questions without those questions being questioned. You also begin to think twice about starting threads as well, which is sad because we should be able to do so freely. I know that I have got a lot from this thread and appreciate everyone's positive comments.

To the vast majority of you - THANK YOU for your contributions!! And please do use the list if you so wish.

12. y9840125

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. There have been lots of additions since I last logged in so I will add to the list and upload once again. I have uploaded the list to the resource site if anyone is interested...the link is on an earlier page (12/13 round there!!)

I have already spoken to my librarian and she is fully on board. She has already contributed to the list and is going to co-run the project. I definitely want her to have a significant involvement in the reading project.

I will also consult with the children to reduce our massive list down from 150 to 50.

To those people who have been quick to critcise my asking for opinions. This is an educational forum. I am compiling this list for educational purposes and although I am exploring the appropriate avenues, I saw no harm in asking for opinions on this site as well. It was a light hearted request and many people have commented on how it has been an interesting thread and a jog down memory lane. Sometimes people are so quick to criticise others on here for their requests and comments etc that you do begin to wonder what this forum is for especially if it comes to the point where you can't ask questions without those questions being questioned. You also begin to think twice about starting threads as well, which is sad because we should be able to do so freely. I know that I have got a lot from this thread and appreciate everyone's positive comments.

To the vast majority of you - THANK YOU for your contributions!! And please do use the list if you so wish.

13. y9840125

Sorry - double post!!

14. And the Kingdom by the sea, amazing book!

15. Sorry, the kingdom by the sea by Robert Westall. And 'His dark Materials' trilogy by Phillpp Pullman. Lireal, Sabriel and Abhorsen by Garth Nix I could go on forever, so many fab books out there!!

16. You are more than welcome.

17. Oh and Journey to the river sea by Eva Ibbotsen

18. Hey the list if fab, thank. Just wanted to point out you have journey to the river sea on twice! ;-P

19. y9840125

Thank you ruburg...probably won't get a chance to edit tonight (had a lot of new suggestions as well) but will do so shortly.

20. y9840125

Thanks ruburg :) Will edit as soon as possible x