1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

50 'best'/ must read children/teenage fiction books.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by arcturus, Dec 30, 2010.

1. The Mortal Engine Quartet by Philip Reeve - I only discovered them a couple of years back, but have since read them all with my ten year old who is as big a fan now as me. Fantastic story-telling, wonderful characterisations, masterful writing.

2. Where to start, there is so much good stuff out there. As one myself my first thought is why don't you ask the school or public librarian? There are also lots of websites out there which list current titles including
    the carnegie and greenaway awards; children's booktrust; lovereading.com;children's book week; children's laureate;
    to name just a few. Am surprised by the number of old classics recommended, while I think there is nothing wrong with introducing children to some of the great children's writers of the last century..if you want to appeal to a broad range of abilities and interests then it helps to get in touch with what interests children today and not just what you remember enjoying yourself as a child. Plus factoring in that some books are made to be read aloud whereas others are defintiely a one to one experience, and that comics and books with illustrations, graphic novels, information books and audio or digital format can all be good literature with the added bonus of appealing to SEN children or even just reluctant readers.

3. 'My family and other animals' Durrell.

4. Hi,

Haven't quite got to the end of this thread yet but haven't found the two I'd suggest in the first 7 pages, so...
    My brother teaches last two years of Junior in a deprived area and has had great success with I am David (Ann Holm), and also with A Bag of Marbles (Joseph Joffo). Both foreign, and latter not fiction - and both riveting!

5. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

My son (aged 12 and in year 8) is reading it at the moment. I bought him the trilogy in 5 parts:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitch-Hikers-Guide-Galaxy-Trilogy/dp/0434003484

He also still likes the wimpy kid books which has been mentioned and asked for the latest one for xmas which I got half price on amazon (along with the last series of Waterloo Road DVD's for him, not me....honest)
    It is traditional that he always gets the Guinness book of records which my mum buys him.

6. Journey From Peppermint Street, Meindert De Jongg
    The Power of One, Bryce Courtenay (for older teens)

7. 'I am David' by Anna Holm

8. Hi, I'm a TA working in a large secondary school in Manchester. I'm working my way through the school library and would recommend:
    The Dragon Keeper series by Carole Wilkinson
    The Two-pound tram by William Newton
    The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo http://themagicianselephant.com/
    Crack in the Line and Small Eternities by Michael Lawrence
    Janet Reygan

9. I'd suggest looking at the What Kids are Reading Report for 2010 (free) from Renaissance Learning -
    http://enquiries.rlrn.co.uk/wkarreport_2010/
    It includes many of the 'old favourites' teachers have suggested but also includes more recent, and very popular, publications.

10. Hi,

As others have suggested, some more politely than others, this has been done by many teachers/librarians etc. before- anperhaps more recent suggestions might be more useful i.e. to add recently published stuff.
    I also find it difficult to create a list of ' books you should read' lthough I appreciate the sentiment of wanting to introduce old favourites - sharing a book that you have enjoyed nearly always works better than ' I've heard this is good'.
    I would ask the school librarian (who will probably ask the readers) as well- little good in recommending a book that isn't freely/instantly available and always good to provide a choice.
    Anyway- my suggestions for 'books you should read' which I reread.(along with many of the suggestions already made)
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley
    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein
    whilst for teenage 'get them reading'
    I would suggest
    Robert Muchamore 'Cherub' series- not the best writing in the world but teenage boys get hooked.
    Skulduggery Pleasant (Derek Landy)
    Shannon Hale -anything but I like 'The Goose Girl' in particular
    Anna Dale 'Whispering to Witches'
    Ranger's Apprentice- John Flanagan- I have a waiting list for the next one- had to buy them in from the States and reserve them for myself.
    Jenny Valentine 'Finding Violet Park'

11. <ul id="CSforumPostList" class="ForumPostList"><li class="forumPost">[/LIST]<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">All great suggestions so far, Enid Blyton still a huge favourite for us alongside many of the contempory children's authors. Mystery/Famous Five and Secret Seven in particular.
    Ballet Shoes and the Secret Garden.
    The King of the Copper Mountain by Paul Biegel makes a particularly good book for reading a chapter at a time. It can be engaging for a wide audience and is lovely to read too.
    The White Stone by Gunnel Linde has also stayed with me and my 11 year old son read it in two sittings. It is a simple tale but still really appealed to him despite him normally reading far more challenging or dramatic books.
    I agree that when it comes to series of books that only one should make the list but it should perhaps have some indication that it is in a series to prompt the readers to look for the others if they enjoy the introductory book (doesn't have to be the first in the series)
    </td></tr></table>

12. Treasure Island
    Kidnapped
    Ivanhoe
    Robin Hood
    Le Mort d'Arthur
    Just some of my favourites from 50+ years ago

13. Hows the list coming? Would like to see it as the students at my international school (being modern iTunes kids who just don't read) need a few recommendations.

regards
    Sean

14. Hoe about Milly Molly Mandy? Great traditional tales for young girls

15. Have you thought about asking your librarian? I am guessing your school does have one?
    It's something that most librarians do and have - heavens I am forever updating my lists.
    It's part of our job, it's what we are good at - it's our field.
    Please do check with your school librarian - I am more than sure she'd be glad to help you.

16. Mr Stink by David Walliams. Read this to my Year 3 class last year and they absolutely loved it. Lots of them went out and bought their own copies. I was surprised at how well it was received because I have never taken to Walliams as a comedian. This was a lovely story and I would definately reccomend it.[​IMG]

17. For teens definitely The Belgariad, David Eddings; The Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix, Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn, Un Lun Dun by China Melville, Seeker and others of that series by William Nicholson, The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld - the last one is not as strong as the others. Junk by Melvin Burgess, Roalh Dahl's short stories series Tales of the Unexpected etc. The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman; Linda Newberry for older teenage girls, Aiden Chambers books, Rosemary Sutcliffe - The Lantern Bearers etc., Michael Morpurgo - The War Horse and Private Peaceful most strongly recommended; Philip K Dick, Bernard Cornwell, Noughts & Crosses series by Malorie Blackman is one of the most heavily read at my school too. Don't forget Meg Rosoff, Just In Case is my favourite, very black humour, Martyn Pig by Kevin Brooks also dark humour. Jenny Valentine also very well worth reading.

18. I would definately reccommend The Spooks books by Joseph Delaney

www.spooksbooks.com/
    <font color="#767676">I started to read them as they have a 'local aspect' to them. They are set in the North West of England (where I live). I enjoyed them so much and so do my children 15 & 13. We now have the whole set and as Mr Delaney visited our local library recently...all signed!</font>
    [​IMG]

19. The Secret Garden, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Carrie's War, Northern LIghts, Butterfly Lion,

20. The Diary of a Teenage Girl (Anne Frank), the Book Thief