1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

50 'best'/ must read children/teenage fiction books.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by arcturus, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Another one I've remembered - The Beasts of Clawstone Castle by Eva Ibbotson. I loved that book and so did the children I read it with in Year 5.

2. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

My daughter who isn't a big reader of fiction is reading the second varjak paw book, the outlaw varjak paw.(agree with Gargoyle's comment) My son who is a big reader, has re-read all the Harry Potter books man,many times, also the Pullman Dark Materials and is reading the Douglas Adam's triology at the moment. We have shelves full of books; lots of it non fiction.

3. Judith Kerr's 'When Hitler killed pink Rabbit'

4. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Up to 109 on the list :)

5. Yu need to see how many of them you have in the school library? Can you do a contest for students who write a book review for each of the books can enter a raffle to win a prize? You can put the reviews into a blog for future reference? The prize would probably have to be something good and you would need the help of other English teachers to kick it off and the library too.... You know your kids best!

6. jazz2

jazz2 New commenter

Of the others, I've read Buried Fire, which was good, but not as good as the Bartimaeus trilogy. The recent book on Bartimaeus - The Ring of Solomon - was also enjoyable, but lacked the depth of the others.

My suggestion that not all of the Narnia collection should be included was out of consideration for the restriction of the list to a total of 50. I don't think every book in the collection merits a place on that limited list; I wasn't suggesting the other volumes were no good. I picked The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe as being the one I thought had the broadest appeal; possibly not the best choice after all.
    And while I'm here (again) I wouldn't put The Machine Gunners anywhere near the list unless I didn't care whether the readers actually liked any of the books or not. Have not had good experience with it, personally [​IMG]

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne. I read it as an adult, obviously. It would be ideal read whilst (or just before) studying the Holocaust/ WW2.

8. No idea if they've been mentioned but the Alex Rider books by Anthony Horowitz are great...had a year 6 class arguing over who got to read them next last year!

9. I capture the castle by Dodie Smith

10. Has anyone mentioned Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" yet?

11. There's A Boy In the Girl's Bathrrom and the Weyside School books - all by Louis Sachar

12. Mallory Blackman, all of Noughts and Crosses series, and Jacqueline Wilson will be popular.
    Shiver - Maggie Steifvater. Before I die - Jenny Downham

13. I loved the children of Green Knowe books when I was a child- I had forgotten all about them until I read this.
    I always read Susan Cooper's 'The Dark is Rising' to my class and agree with loads of the books on this list.
    If I was only going to choose one of the Narnia series i would actually choose the Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

14. The Mouse and His Child is by Russell Hoban - brilliant book though my daughter who is now a university English lecturer could never bear to read it again because it made her so emotional!

15. The Phantom Tollbooth by Justin Norton - brilliant

16. Lots of great books here... glad I read through the whole thread as many books I was going to suggest are already here!

I would also recommend Neil Gaiman's Coraline and The Graveyard Book... they are making the rounds in my grade 6-9 classes. We also read The Cay by Theodore Taylor, an oldie but a goodie!

17. Why not ask the children themselves what they actually enjoy reading?

The idea of a list of books that children - or anyone else - SHOULD read is an instant turn-off.

18. The best book ever is " Good night Mister Tom" by Michelle Magorian .
    The books that have got huge numbers of boys reading in my school are the Cherub series by Robert Muchamore .
    I did a staff favourite book project in my school and it was amazing how many Enid Blyton books came up - "The Magic faraway tree" was the most popular as was " The Naughtiest Girl in School" series which my 11 year old duaghter loves even though the book is now 70 years old!

19. The Diary of Wimpy kid books by Jeff Kinney have gone down a storm. Children literally can't wait to get their hands on them. Big Nate is a similar genre. Boys in particular have started to enjoy reading through these books. It has opened up a whole new world and done wonders for our reading levels. Good luck.

20. Holes by Louis Sacher. Great story that can be taken at many different levels from literal to complex . Very entertaining as long as you introduce american vocabulary * concepts for the younger reader. Good for poorer readers with support at KS3 as has a 3 strand plot line