1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

50 'best'/ must read children/teenage fiction books.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by arcturus, Dec 30, 2010.

1. I disagree that the whole Narnia collection shouldn't be in. I think at least some of the are probably better than The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Has anyone mentioned Watership Down?

2. My boys are 8 and 11. We read every night together and these are the ones they have enjoyed.
    Inkheart, Inkspell and Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke.
    C. S. Lewis (all of them)
    Flat Stanley
    Beastquest series
    The magic faraway tree
    All Harry Potters
    Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy
    Adrian Mole (11 year old begged to read it)
    Famous Five ( 8 year old loves them)
    Astrosaurs series

I remember
    Swallows and Amazons
    Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry
    Colour Purple
    To kill a mockingbird
    Hello God it's me margaret
    Forever
    Little women
    Pollyanna

and the most important of all .... Winnie the pooh

3. Probably rather old fashioned nowadays, but the books I loved as a child/teenager:
    Narnia
    Wind in the Willows
    Winnie the Pooh
    Anne of Green Gables
    Still She Wished for Company - Margaret Irwin
    The Flight of the Heron trilogy - D.K.Broster
    Greengage Summer
    Fifteen - Beverly Cleary (I think)
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Georgette Heyer - all

Bound to be more but those are the ones I remember

4. How could I have forgotten The Children of the New Forest and The Secret Garden! Oh and Lorna Doone and Moonfleet

5. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

The Changeover - Margaret Mahy

6. Charlotte Sometimes
    Goodnight Mr Tom
    Back Home
    Ballet Shoes
    The Silver Sword
    I am David
    Journey to the River Sea

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

"A Traveller in Time" actually.

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

<table class="buyingDetailsGrid" align="right" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

<tr><td> </td></tr><tr><td>

<table id="buyboxusedTable" class="buyBox" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
    <tr>
    <td class="topLeft">

<table align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
    <tr>
    <td style="text-align:center;" align="center"> </td></tr></table>
    </td>
    <td class="topRight"> </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td class="bottomLeft"> </td>
    <td class="bottomRight"> </td>
    </tr>
    </table>

</td></tr><tr><td> </td></tr><tr><td> </td></tr><tr><td> </td></tr><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

[​IMG]

9. I loved Carrie's War and Goodnight Mr Tom as well as The Machine Gunners when I was younger. The kids at my school love Noughts and Crosses by Marjorie Blackman - and it made me cry! - and Private Peaceful. Stone Cold and Abomination by Robert Swindells are also great and very popular. A recent addition to my department has been My Swordhand is Singing by Marcus Sedgwick which has been a massive success for Years 8 and 9.
    For teenagers, Darren Shan is hugely popular. I may have been a bit of a swot but I fell in love with Jane Austen at the age of 14 - maybe a good addition?

10. Yes! Adored these books as a child! Completely forgot about them. Forgot about how much I loved the Secret Garden too, until someone else mentioned it. I'm loving this thread, reminding me of so many books I had completely forgotten about!

11. Just finished reading War Horse by Michael Morpurgo. I'd never heard of this book before and OH got it as a surprise Xmas pressie. I know it's meant for young teenagers but I could'nt put it down or stop crying! I feel a MM collection coming on.

12. I agree with who ever said astrosaurs! Also minisidey went through a phase loving Jeremy strong and the million mile an hour dog.

13. You really do like to needle people don't you chocolatebox9! What is the matter with you?!
    OP - when you have compiled the list, would you mind posting it to the resources section, please? Thanks very much.

14. I am glad that I am not the only one who has noticed, only what I was thinking was a lot less polite!

15. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Yes, I must admit I found myself a little told off yesterday and didn't like the insinuation about being a poor English teacher because I couldn't compile the list myself. I simply wanted to gather a range of opinions and didn't feel it was such a bad thing to do BUT the response has been fantastic and definitely outweighs the negative comments made by chocolatebox9.

I will definitely put the list in the resources area... :)

16. I don't think that you can come up with something like this on your own. I made a little list and then others come along with more books and other ideas that I did know but don't come to the front of my mind... While I am thinking again, the belgariad series of books by David Eddings. I love Polgara!

17. Not sure what Clarkson's T-shirts have to do with his journalism. Kids in my class know what's appropriate in a text might not be appropriate in general use and I suspect that's true of most classes. If it was the language, couldn't you just have said instead of all the cloak and dagger stuff?
    We were talking about a reading list for children and teens - you said Clarkson shouldn't go on it in because you wouldn't give his work to delicate Guardianistas. Anyway, apologies to the OP for once more wandering off topic - I really love all the suggestions people are making.

18. I love Margaret Mahy. THe Tricksters is probably my favourite though.

19. Then we need The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings!

20. What about James bond for teenagers? I suppose you can put in one book from a series, like they do in lists of films so that you don't get star wars 1, 2, 3, as the top in the chart. Only the original one!