1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

50 'best' children/teenage books (fiction)

Discussion in 'English' started by bgy1mm, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Children like series. Usually the books aren't especially high quality (the only exception I can think of is Narnia), but they are technically very good. As with anything, a known and trusted brand drums up loyalty.

2. If I could only have one book for the rest of eternity it'd be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

If the rules were less strict and I were allowed some more, I'd throw in His Dark Materials; The Wind Singer by William Nicolson; all the Famous Five by Blyton; The Hobbit by that Tolkein bloke; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; Stormbreaker by Horowitz; The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (I'd also beg to have the DVD of the original BBC TV series - you can keep the film); the rest of Dahl, especially matilda and the BFG;

There's probably loads that I've forgotten and I'll kick myself later.

3. maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon New commenter

Anne of Green Gables and the whole series, I Capture the Castle (I didn't read this until I was older but it's a great book for a teenage girl.) I also loved Laura Ingalls Wilder The Little House on the Prairie and the rest of that series. I'm not sure what age that is for though maybe primary.

4. All great suggestions so far, Enid Blyton still a huge favourite for us alongside many of the contempory children's authors. Mystery/Famous Five and Secret Seven in particular.
    Ballet Shoes and the Secret Garden.
    The King of the Copper Mountain by Paul Biegel makes a particularly good book for reading a chapter at a time. It can be engaging for a wide audience and is lovely to read too.
    The White Stone by Gunnel Linde has also stayed with me and my 11 year old son read it in two sittings. It is a simple tale but still really appealed to him despite him normally reading far more challenging or dramatic books.
    I agree that when it comes to series of books that only one should make the list but it should perhaps have some indication that it is in a series to prompt the readers to look for the others if they enjoy the introductory book (doesn't have to be the first in the series)

5. The Biggles books obviously deserve a mention. However, as an adult, I can't say that any one of them is anything special. They are just melodrama, but very competently executed. The first world war stories are probably the best, because Johns was an actual member of the Royal Flying Corps. However as a child I read every single one I could lay my hands on.

6. Henry Williamson's nature stories like Tarka the Otter are well worth reading, despite his political leanings.

7. Two teen books that I have recently read that I think will become lasting classics are The Hunger Games (and sequels) and The Knife of Never Letting Go (and sequels).
    For myself, books that I read as a child and still occasionally reread in adulthood include The Eagle of the Ninth and (quite a few other Rosemary Sutcliffs), Lorna Hill's Sadlers Wells books and the Noel Streatfeilds - all of which are now loved by my own children.
    There are also a few classics from the 1970s that are badly neglected and due for a revival - like Robert Westall's The Devil on the Road.