1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

50/50

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by 85Teacher2010, Oct 15, 2019.

1. 85Teacher2010

85Teacher2010 New commenter

Hi just looking to put something out there that’s been on my mind. I feel I’m at a crossroads. Work is getting me down as I’ve asked for support with career progression (future planning for slt role however long that may take) and all I’ve got was to be placed on a middle leadership course (I’ve been a middle leader for 7 years) and behaviour seems to be getting worse. Verbal abuse seems like a daily occurrence and has become the norm so very little gets done about it. I love teaching but feel like I’ve lost my spark and unsure whether to pursue a new challenge in life or stay and put up with it. Leaving and getting a lower paid job doesn’t bother me, the worry is more about what I could do instead. Feeling lost and very confused. I love the team I work with and most of the pupils in my classes are great but I know other colleagues are having a hard time and there have been many tears shed already (myself included).

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Sharing your pain. Behaviour isn't a major issue for me but I'm in primary so only one class to sort out. Career progression is a concern, as is workload and anxiety. Like you, I love the pupils and most of my colleagues. Hope you find an answer.

85Teacher2010 likes this.
  3. dts

dts Occasional commenter

What's your plan for career progression? If you're hoping to work your way up to SLT in your current school, you could be waiting for years, even decades. It might never happen if your Head doesn't see you as SLT material.

You're far more likely to take a step up the ladder by applying for the role directly in a different school, and if your school is as miserable as it sounds, why would you want to stay anyway?

4. 85Teacher2010

Very true about moving up, the only down point I’m upcoming up against is that nearly all the slt posts in my area want some sort of slt experience or the NPQSL qualification which I don’t have and yes...it is miserable, I guess the answer would be to leave. I guess what’s holding me back is the fact I love teaching and love my subject

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why not try a different school?
    Not all schools are the same and a new role in a new school might be just the ticket.

Pomza and 85Teacher2010 like this.
  6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Lead commenter

work shouldn't be so hard it makes you cry. just start job hunting, in teaching and outside teaching. Only apply for jobs you really want. see what comes up. Good luck x

85Teacher2010 likes this.
  7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

A tough situation you’re in but it seems to me from what I read is that your HT thinks that you need to develop in your current role first before progressing- you can be in a middle leadership role for many years and ‘not be ready’ for promotion- years ago, I had a teacher at my school who was eager to progress, was in a Phase Leader role and was desperate to progress would be applying for every AHT or DHT that came up, but got rejected on every application- with the same feedback every time- not the right calibre they’re looking for in a SLT candidate.
    There is nothing stopping you from however, starting to apply elsewhere- after all, why work for a school that’s holding you back? You have nothing to loose, and if anything, you are gaining interview experience. You DO need to let your HT know that you’re applying for new roles as a reference will be required!

8. 85Teacher2010

Perhaps you are right, I’m just not ready yet for slt but my HT didn’t put me on the course, it was the person in charge of cpd and someone let slip that the cpd slt person thinks I haven’t ‘paid my dues’ yet to move up. I even offered to help with initiatives and work alongside various slt members for free and with no request for time to do it. I just asked for some experiences so that in 5 or whatever years time I could look to move up. It’s very frustrating but also disappointing:(