1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

5 Year Contracts for Teachers

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by CanuckGrrl, May 22, 2012.

1. Oh amen to that. Better dead than red!

2. Freddie92

Freddie92 Occasional commenter

This is madness. You may consider yourself a good teacher or a poor one, I am in no position to judge. However, if after a 5 year contract you are judged to be surplus to requirements and are moved on, what kind of a career is that going to be? It will result in more 'Yes' men and women. If you have a personality clash or fall out with your superiors you may be moved on through no fault of your own. I find this very disturbing. And remember even if everything is hunky dory just now and you get on very well with your PT and HT, what happens when they retire or move on and someone comes in who you don't get on with? Teaching, like every job, has perks. The 3 biggest perks are: holidays, pensions, and a job for life. I fear for our profession as many of the most talented who are young enough will move abroad.

3. Good luck with that, it would become a buyers market, the only negotiating you would get to do would be to take it or leave it, no matter how good you thought you were.

4. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

The bigger picture against a background of pension theft, wage freezes, no resources and recruitment freezes is that any teacher at the top of the scale, could, at a stroke be dismissed to employ a probationer at nearly half the salary.

Watch this space, increase training places, flood the market and sack all experienced staff.

He also said the 5 year deal should apply to HTs too but how many authorities would admit to a mistake?

5. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

More than ever we need stability in the Teaching Profession. Suggestions like this are plainly idiotic and would do precisely nothing to raise attainment. CfE alone is likely to run the Education System into the buffers. Measures like this will ensure the collapse of Teaching as a Profession.

6. squeakyhaggis

squeakyhaggis New commenter

Well, I'm glad I left the country when I did!

7. Precisely what the SG wants---or maybe you've heard them speaking up against this? No, I thought not.. More and more, I despair of Alex Salmond and his independence project.

8. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

5 year contracts! I would love one of those.

Seriously this is nuts. COSLA will rub their hands at the chance to extend their disposable teacher scheme. You will all be put out to grass and replaced by probabationers. Excuses can be made up. Well what is more likely is that this will be used to force down wages.

It was discussed on Call Kaye this morning. They could not get their head around the fact that only retired teachers were on - like most are working, those of us who are not are not about to stick our heads above the parapet.

9. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

So, the SG encourages people to apply for teacher training because education is so important to the future success of the individual and the country.
    The ITE institutions then select from a large number of applicants to ensure only the best, and potentially most suitable for teaching, start their training.
    After the ITE institutions judge that the students have successfully completed their training and school placements, the future teachers begin their probationary year and, if they are successful and meet the full standard for registration, they can then apply for jobs.
    Unfortunately, there are very few full time, permanent jobs partly because they have trained too many teachers for the available vacancies, and partly because every year they have to hold back a large number of potential vacancies for training yet more teachers.
    After x number of years doing temporary supply work, much of it for a pittance, the qualified teacher may eventually obtain a full time, permanent post but now there's a further catch ...
    A former secondary headteacher thinks it would be a good idea if teachers were only offered five year, fixed term contracts. Apparently, all the previous quality checks were not sufficient. He thinks it should also apply to headteachers but wait a minute ...
    Almost every LA in Scotland is struggling to fill headteacher vacancies and jobs are having to be advertised several times to even find enough candidates to hold interviews. In fact one LA is considering accepting applications from secondary teachers because they are struggling to find primary DHTs, and other suitably qualified primary teachers, who want to be primary headteachers. I wonder why because it was not the case 20 years ago?
    In short, you couldn't make this up. If you wanted a blueprint for demoralising the teaching profession and wrecking the Scottish education system, this one comes pretty close and, you know what, I don't think the powers-that-be really care.
    Like so many things today, decisions are based on short-term financial, and political, expediency. If in the medium to long term, great damage is done, the attitude in so many quarters seems to be ...
    that's someone else's problem.

10. socrates82

socrates82 Occasional commenter

I agree with all you say Fly but how likely is this guy's "notion" to be adopted by COSLA/SG? Or are they working him from behind?
    It's almost as if these controversial ideas are deliberately picked up by the media in order to demoralise teachers.In my opinion, we should be hearing more noise coming from the teacher unions and reading about suggestions to IMPROVE pay and conditions in order to enhance the morale of the profession.Scottish Education will always be best served by a secure and properly-remunerated teaching workforce.

11. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Easy. Indefinite work to contract. http://www.ssta.org.uk/news.php?extend.314

12. katiekitten

katiekitten New commenter

Are you suggesing that everyone in industry is on a fixed term contract? Because I have worked for private companies, shops, a building contractor and an accountancy firm and all of the contracts were 'permanent' not 'fixed term'. Permanent doesnt mean you have a 'lifetime' contract, it can be ended, but it is distinctly different from a fixed term contract.
    My partner currently works on fixed term contracts - 3 months and 6 month contracts. He currently could not get a mortgage because of it. Barclaycard offered him a 'permanent' position but at a LOT LESS pay than the fixed term contract he was on. He could get a mortgage if he accepted the permie, but he couldnt afford it. Fortunately I have a permanent contract so we were able to obtain a mortgage secured against my employment, even though I earn half the amount my partner earns.