1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

5 Year Blues

Discussion in 'History' started by arkiphi, Mar 28, 2011.

1. I have been teaching History now for 5 years at the same school I began at as an NQT. I have been promoted to Head of History and teach a range of subjects from Key Stage 3 Humanities to A-Level and IB. I'm about to turn 28 and am feeling rather bored and more and more frustrated with meaningless top-down decisions that don't affect teaching and learning. I am keen to develop my own practice and would like either a bigger department or somewhere else. I am not sure though if it makes sense to go with such a good position and wage. I have become rather bored of the area and don't just want to head to another school in the same area unless this is all I need to do.
    Help is required as I feel that if I make the wrong decision I will be stuck with it for a bit. my choices are move to another school in the county, more areas, work abroad. Is it me or is this feeling common?

2. I think the best thing to do is to get a fresh perspective and ask for a years secondment to teach abroad, if you're not sure about whether you should leave your current school .The worst thing you can do is to get stuck in a rut and start resenting the students and the job. I've spent most of my career overseas and it was a fantastic experience. I have been teaching back in the UK for a couple of years and I feel exactly the same as you, so I will be checking out the international positions with a hope of securing something for this September.Good luckand have the courage to make a change.

3. Thank you for this.

4. Great advice and very honest. Thank you

5. Christ, you are literly the same as me in every way!! haha, I dont think im as bored as you are, but im getting there and looking for a new challenge. Question is, do i risk it!?