1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

5 reasons why teaching jobs are becoming the new career choice for the millennial

Discussion in 'Personal' started by offpage_tti, Jul 31, 2017.

1. offpage_tti

offpage_tti New commenter

With the world changing around us every single day, our choices, decisions and actions have all acquired a dynamic state. The same dynamism is seen to be persistent with our career choices as well. We as millenials are constantly on the lookout for job opportunities that not only provide us with a steady stream of financial support, but are unique and characteristically rich enough to encourage and challenge us to do better. One of the professions that is proving to be constantly dynamic and growing in opportunities is the noble profession of Teaching. However, now the question rises why you must become a teacher?

Have you always wanted to teach? Are you looking for a change in your career? Are you looking forward to start your career with a job that extends you enough scope to grow both professionally and personally? In case that the answer to any or all of these questions, is in a yes, one of the best professions for you to opt for today, is that of a teacher or a trainer.

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

This is not Education News.

3. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

It would be if the DfE outsourced marketing to India.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Where did this rubbish come from ?

5. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

Any time someone suggests there is a single 'millennial' identity, you can write off everything else they've said as drivel.

phlogiston and peggylu like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

..ah......it's from India.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Really? As a teacher I would argue that the profession, in England, is becoming the polar opposite of this and increasingly a job suited to a malleable automaton.

Unless, of course, the opportunities referred to are getting oneself out of the actual classroom as fast as possible and into senior management positions. But there's not quite as much of the idealised 'Mr Chips' style nobility in that ambition is there.

Ah...the Millenials. No daily changing world or dynamic state for the choices, decisions and actions of us old farts then. Even though we are already teaching - not just idealising, pontificating thinking about it. Phew!

Mrsmumbles and Didactylos4 like this.
  8. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I actually feel disappointed whenever I hear that one of my former students has gone into teaching.

9. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why is the choice between teacher or sports footwear?

knitone, peggylu and lizziescat like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If you're a teacher you can't afford expensive sports footwear

12. Trendy Art

Have you no sole, @lanokia?

knitone and peggylu like this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I can't say... I'm tongue tied!

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

True... we are down at heel.

peggylu likes this.
  15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yeh, us millennials have it tough like that.

The word "pay" would have sufficed.

These words would have been better to have been omitted altogether.

So what are the 5 reasons?

16. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

5 reasons to teach?
    1. You've got an otherwise worthless degree.
    2. None of the jobs avaliable to you pay enough to move out of your Mum's, but teaching nearly does.
    3. You're skint and the bursary would be useful.
    4. You can't think of anything you really fancy so getting paid to try out teaching be OK for a year - defers the inevitable.
    5. How hard can it be? I know some real dimwits who are getting nearly £30K and all those holidays.

jarndyce, phlogiston, peggylu and 2 others like this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No, one word never ''suffices'' when you can put in five words, sound extra super clever and continue on the epic climb of the ladder to the heady heights of .... I dunno... where does the ladder go?

peggylu likes this.
  18. Trendy Art

Shoe, Lanokia, shoe!

That comment really ankled with me.

peggylu and lanokia like this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Tick
    Tick
    I got beggar all ''golden handshake''
    Tick... odd how a year turned into 15 years...

:confused::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::oops::(:(:(
    Bingo!

I got them all!!!!

What did I win?

peggylu likes this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Armstrong and Miller did a comprehensive study of reasons to go into teaching. This is one of them.

Moony, peggylu and Calpurnia99 like this.