1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

5 applications rejected in a row..feeling useless.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by shellsb, Mar 22, 2016.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

@Middlemarch. No, though I could have understood this at least. :)

I'm a music teacher, and one of the essential skills had been a music based skill. Not a typical skill, but one called on enough times in most roles for me to be relatively competent. I gave an example of having used this skill both in school and outside of school. That was it. She had taken great offence. I had been covering her for maybe 3 months, so the application was before that, and she had been quite ill, but the quote was almost verbatim! I half expected her to produce a copy of the letter to show me how stupid the applicant was.

After I nearly died, but feigned agreement with the expected grunts and nods, I did recover enough to be thankful. Not my ideal department.

Interesting though to see how others interpret things, especially as I can only assume that she wrote the person spec, but was actively annoyed that I'd demonstrated it. Strange, but will never forget the awful feeling :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. caraj316

caraj316 New commenter

Am I alone in thinking this woman was behaving a little unprofessionally by quoting an application form? It may just be that you happened to know, but it does seem a bit off. :(

palmtree100 likes this.
  3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Five is NOTHING! To get (even a temporary cover at the end of it!) post I once only succeeded in my 28th interview and it took probably close to 100 applications, soul destroying filling in the same eFF ing information into each one! Keep trying and the law of averages dictates you will succeed eventually!

4. forzasslazio

forzasslazio New commenter

been there, seen there, done that. If all else fails, maybe going through an agency will help. At most, all you may have to do is an interview and if not possible to attend in person for any reason, by phone or Skype should be made possible for you. Once in the door, it would be up to you to show the school itself why it should keep you.

5. gjohnmoss

gjohnmoss New commenter

Apart from the advice of "five is not a lot" (which is true), go to the schools and ask for feedback. It's better than ruminating on these boards

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Don't bother. They are very likely to come out with 'safe' responses such as, "You were impressive, but on the day the other candidate's skills and experience were more suited to the post."

Like scienceteachersghost, I also have the t-shirt. Does not mean that you will be forever doomed to wear it though! Mine is in a box in the metaphorical attic right now ;)

sabrinakat and pepper5 like this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I know it's not much consolation but really 5 applications really isn't that many. I used to say I could wallpaper a room with the 'Sorry to inform you that on this occasion your application was unsuccessful' back in the day when they did write replies to say Thank you for your application and inform you of a result.

Keep going and believing in yourself. there really must be a teacher shortage. There were 16 posts advertised in my local paper last week, when years ago you wouldn't see that many posts advertised in a year!

pepper5 and wanet like this.
  9. EvilAsh

EvilAsh Occasional commenter

I just got a job. I spent a year searching and must have filled out 15 applications. Of those, I had five failed interviews. A number of factors affect your chance of attending an interview, let alone succeeding! There's the chemistry between you and the interviewers, how the lesson happens, the strength of your answers, how expensive you are, how 'strong' the other candidates are!
    Don't give up!

thekillers and ValentinoRossi like this.
  10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

They say sometimes that you might be the 'wrong' sex-if they already have all women in the department at a mixed school, might the man have more chance...obviously illegal, but if they all had similar qualifications...I've heard of people genuinely feeling that 'face fitting' can be quite simplistic. Don't know how true this is.

11. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

I've done 15 in recent weeks and not had a single reply. I've even seen jobs I applied for be readvertised! I know I hit all essential and desirable. I've read Theo's many useful pieces of advice and changed up my applications but to no avail. I've been lucky this academic year in having been a ft teacher at one school throughout but even that isn't helping.

I'll no doubt end up on long term supply in one of the places that rejected my application. :(

I am getting pretty fed up now though.

thekillers and pepper5 like this.
  12. mrs-badger

mrs-badger Occasional commenter

@Oldfashioned - I wouldn't worry too much about the re-advertisements.

There's definitely something a bit odd with those, at the moment - I know anecdotally of a local school advertising for a KS co-ordinatior and they got some strong applications and yet decided to re-advertise. (I didn't apply, by the way, it isn't sour grapes!)

I've also noticed a few posts come up a second, third time. It's very strange, and I haven't seen it before. I *think* there is perhaps something in the water we are not aware of but I am positive it is not a personal reflection on you.

Someone from here (middlemarch, I think) told me to think of it like selling a house - only takes one to say yes.

Good luck xx

thekillers likes this.
  13. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Thanks Mrs Badger. I'll only really start to panic in July if I have nothing for Sept.

14. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

You have to remember that teaching and non-teaching jobs are in high demand and very competitive. I fully understand your frustrations and stress. It is hard. But one day somebody will open the door to you and let you in. You just have to keep knocking. Keep knocking those applications out.

Its all part of life im afraid.

pepper5 likes this.
  15. newkidsontheblock

newkidsontheblock New commenter

Do not give up on your teaching job dream! I have been rejected 300 times for a teaching job but did not give up pour autant. Have you tried supply teaching or a job in an other field?

16. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

My top tip is to make sure your letter of application is strong.

Proof read it first off and get others to do it too. If you know any English teachers they'll be fantastic for this (always good to befriend a few).

Make sure your letter of application is personalised to the school - what are their values, why are you applying to that school, what makes it right for you, etc. Try to link it to extra curriculars, values, reputation etc.

BRAG. Show off what you've done whether it's in education or out of it. Tell them what you want to try, tell them what you want the department to look like (even if it's not a HOD job). Tell them what you think a strong school is and how you strive to achieve it. A lot of it is about what you've already done but more can be said about where you want to be - they want someone future proof.

Five applications isn't a lot as other people have said but when it's constant it can be a real kick and you can feel like you're not getting anywhere.

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just a slight word of caution . . .

The articles to which the links have been given have not been revised for some time now.

Best wishes

thekillers likes this.
  18. NNS

NNS New commenter

I have sent about 15 applications and had 6 interviews before getting a job. My partner working in a different field sent off more than 20 applications and got no reply, so 5 in the perspective is really not that bad!

gingerhobo48, pepper5 and steely1 like this.
  19. haharr

haharr New commenter

I have 22 years experience and can teach 2 subjects to A level but after 20+ applications only 3 interviews. This is ridiculous - why accept up to 120+ applications and subjectively filter (applying some ludicrous criteria) instead of selecting 2 " most likely" profiles from a database based on qualifications and experience? Schools should not be dealing with the recruitment process anyway, as they cannot be objective e.g. internal candidates. We should return to the LEA list system and simply allocate teachers to available schools. There is no magic formula out there to make pupils educate themselves, and the effect of the teacher is massively overblown. It's time for managers, and the system in general, to get over itself, drop the posturing and the egos, and accept that the progress that students make is down to the attitudes and motivation of the student. The only thing that needs to be established about a teacher is whether a person can teach, and that could be professionally renewed every year by a certificating system (again outside the immediate school and so objective) that teachers would have to sign up to.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Inanna

Inanna New commenter

I recently got a position. I'd been looking since September. At first I was targeting schools I wanted to work at, but later I started basically a blanket campaign of applying for everything and being prepared to move to wherever the work was. Over the year I must have applied for in the region of 15 positions? (I also have to say I was applying from outside the country, which made it an even more awkward task). In that entire time I got to interview twice. In the end, I was lucky that the job I got was in the geographical location I wanted and at a decent salary too, but it was just sheer dogged persistence that got me that far.

The moral of this story - don't give up. 5 isn't that many applications and, if you're prepared to be flexible, you will eventually find somewhere!