1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'5 A Day' stories a la Sue Palmer

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Pat Dewar, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Does anyone manage to fit in 5 stories a day? I am now a governor in a school and the LA have advised our EY teachers to follow the advise of Sue Palmer to raise our standards in speaking and listening and writing. Now this sounds great to me but I am no longer in the classroom so I just wonder if anyone is doing this and if you can adivse me how you fit it in to your daily timetable.
    Thanks Pat

2. Does anyone manage to fit in 5 stories a day? I am now a governor in a school and the LA have advised our EY teachers to follow the advise of Sue Palmer to raise our standards in speaking and listening and writing. Now this sounds great to me but I am no longer in the classroom so I just wonder if anyone is doing this and if you can adivse me how you fit it in to your daily timetable.
    Thanks Pat

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We did when I taught reception I suspect it isn't happening now although I'm told it is.
    Stories weren't timetabled except for the end of the day but were very much part of the day. Sometimes it would be 5 all in one session if the children were particulary interested in hearing more or sometimes just "sprinkled" to break up sessions. We had a huge family tent outdoors and stories were always demanded if we were using it.

4. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

Yes i remember reading this a while ago. We try to incorporate a couple first thing on the carpet, one at an 11.30 slot nearer lunch time and a couple at the end of the day or first thing in the afternoon when the children come back from lunch. I am laughing to myself because at the time when i mentioned it to a colleague she said don't you mean pieces of fruit a day !!!