1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

4Matrix

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by apostate, Mar 26, 2013.

1. My school is just piloting 4Matrix to us as a tool for HODs to analyse data. The thing is having looked at it with my geek head on and read through the user documentation - which doesn't seem to accurately relate to the product in front of me - I can honestly say that I can't see what this tool does that the Excel Pivot tables I have been using don't. In fact it seems to me that the pivot tables can do more. (I found the same with SISRA btw.)
    Given that 4MAtrix has the function to export to Excel for further data manipulation and given that someone still has to upload the data I have the following questions:
    <ol>[*]Have I missed the point of it?[*]How have people used the software in a way that actually impacts on student attainment?[*]Is it better/simpler/more efficient than excel?</ol>

2. My school is just piloting 4Matrix to us as a tool for HODs to analyse data. The thing is having looked at it with my geek head on and read through the user documentation - which doesn't seem to accurately relate to the product in front of me - I can honestly say that I can't see what this tool does that the Excel Pivot tables I have been using don't. In fact it seems to me that the pivot tables can do more. (I found the same with SISRA btw.)
    Given that 4MAtrix has the function to export to Excel for further data manipulation and given that someone still has to upload the data I have the following questions:
    <ol>[*]Have I missed the point of it?[*]How have people used the software in a way that actually impacts on student attainment?[*]Is it better/simpler/more efficient than excel?</ol>

3. Hello apostate
    I hope you receive some replies here from users of 4Matrix.
    Many are saying very positive things about 4Matrix, as you can read here: www.4matrix.org/comments
    You ask if 4Matrix has been used in a way that impacts on student achievement. You can read about examples of schools that have gained an Outstanding judgment for Leadership through their use of 4Matrix at www.4matrix.org/ofsted
    We also provide a high-impact training event for schools in getting the best from 4Matrix (called Systemic Knowledge-Driven Leadership), and some of the first schools to take part in this have reported that they have gone up a category in their subsequent inspection. There are details of this at www.4matrix.org/skdl
    Some of the unique features of 4Matrix that would be hard to replicate in Excel include: measures of the impact of teaching for every teacher, research tools for Gap Analysis, and an interactive tool for setting targets based on ensuring that every pupil's Value Added score will be positive. New developments in the pipeline include a Flight Path and KS3 tracker, FFT data import and post-16 tools.
    If you would an online tutorial in making the most of 4Matrix then do please contact me at contact@4matrix.org.
    Mike Bostock
    Director
    New Media Learning Ltd