1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

48 hour waver as a teaching assistant

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by eils1968, Aug 14, 2020.

1. eils1968

eils1968 New commenter

Hi. I have a question: a friend is really keen to test the waters of teaching as a career by being a teaching assistant first. Has anyone wavered the 48 hr weekly working limit and if so, are you finding yourself working more than 48 hours on a regular basis? The option to opt out of the 48 hr working weekly limit seems to be a regular feature of employment contracts and she is a bit confused why this is.Thanks in advance!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I've never seen people formally asked to waive the 48hr weekly working limit, but that would be because it's averaged over 17 weeks. Any 17 week period in teaching will include at least 3 weeks of holiday, so that means the effective limit is more like 58 hours per school week.
    I think I might be very worried if a school felt it necessary to ask people to opt out.

Morninglover likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you're saying they're applying the waiver to teaching assistant contracts, that's even worse. Usually the contracts are part-time hours, which means there is no reason to approach the 48 hour limit. Where full-time, you'd want to check whether the pay would actually reach the national minimum wage for a 48 hour week.
    I guess the situation where the 48 hour thing might be relevant is if someone is being a TA and working elsewhere in the evenings, as it applies to the total of your jobs.

The opt-out is strictly optional: you can't be forced to sign an opt-out waiver, or be treated unfairly for refusing to do so.
    https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours/weekly-maximum-working-hours-and-opting-out

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

You could always ask them 'what is in it for me to sign this?'

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Thinking about it, if it's "provided as an option", perhaps it is primarily there for those who are working multiple jobs. (I do wonder how many people are aware that they should sign one if their combined job hours take them over 48 hours - and I'm not sure if they need to sign one for each employer.)