1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

47% pay cut: Scotland's newest shame?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by CanuckGrrl, Nov 5, 2011.

1. This discussion on the supply teachers' forum deserves a much wider readership so I'm posting the link here. Read it if you dare.
    As a permanent teacher, I consider the attack on supply teachers' pay and conditions in this country to be disgraceful, embarrassing, and appalling. I suspect it would be illegal in countries with robust equal pay for equal work legislation.
    SHAME ON THE SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT.
    SHAME ON COSLA.
    SHAME ON THE EIS.
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/529717.aspx?PageIndex=1.

2. This discussion on the supply teachers' forum deserves a much wider readership so I'm posting the link here. Read it if you dare.
    As a permanent teacher, I consider the attack on supply teachers' pay and conditions in this country to be disgraceful, embarrassing, and appalling. I suspect it would be illegal in countries with robust equal pay for equal work legislation.
    SHAME ON THE SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT.
    SHAME ON COSLA.
    SHAME ON THE EIS.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/529717.aspx?PageIndex=1.

3. sbf

sbf New commenter

Its hardly news, we all knew the issues and voted on them.
    Hopefully people will stop doing supply and schools will start to slowly fall apart.
    Only then will people realise the joke that is scottish education.
    Cant think anyone on supply will fancy paying more for the meger pension.
    I really feel for the kids, as i think things are going to get pretty bad in the classroom, teachers really have had enough.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Hear hear!!! [​IMG]
    People might start to stop doing supply. Schools might start to fall apart as a result. People might realise the Scottish Education is becoming a joke. Supply teachers may withdraw from the pension scheme. But the vast majority may do nothing of the sorts.
    So what are we all going to do about it, NOW!!!! People need to be jolted out of their sleep. The sleepwalkers need to be reached. Union ballots and countless emails etc., have little impact on the sleepwalkers. It's depressing and embarassing.
    Sorry, I'm most certainly not having a go at you (sbf). I'm just frustrated that about half of the people in the profession seem to be ruining it for all of us. How can it be with rising fuel prices and rising monthly overheads; the pinch being felt by most, that about 50% of union members can't even be ***** to vote about something as important as their whole retirement period?
    [​IMG]

5. I'm actually embarassed that we were not all out on strike supporting our supply colleagues before these changes were implemented (not that we were even given the opportunity), and that so many teachers in permanent jobs didn't care enough about this issue to vote last time. I am unhappy about the pension issue, but was far more angry about the supply issue. I feel bad every time I see one of our regular supply teachers knocking themselves out to deliver excellent lessons, coming in early/leaving late for so little reward. We are so lucky as a school to have regular/fantastic supply teachers, I wonder how much longer they will keep doing it for half their wages :(

6. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

The daily rate for a casual relief teacher in Victoria is $42.80 an hour or $256.80 a day. At current exchange rates, they are around £28 an hour and £168 a day respectively. At more reasonable exchange rates, they are £21 an hour and £126 a day respectively. CRTs could at a maximum do just under 200 days a year, but employment is less likely once the year 12s leave early in the fourth term as their class teachers take replacement classes. CRTs are employed for short-term replacements. They are paid for attending, not on the basis of actual hours taught. For longer absences, a replacement teacher will be employed on a contract and paid at the rate determined by that teacher?s level. When I employed CRTs, I generally gave them five lessons a day and a home group or five lessons a day and a yard duty. If I was desperate, I would get them to do six lessons, but would make it up on another day. I never used agencies because they would take a cut of the CRT?s pay. I had a good group of CRTs to call on. I believe if you treat people well, you will be treated well in return.