1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

44 sounds phonic wall chart

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BEXJ, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Hi I am looking to buy some phonic wall charts for all of our classes in our primary school. We will be using letters and sounds and we would like the wall charts to support this teaching. Has anyone seen any good ones?

2. Hi I am looking to buy some phonic wall charts for all of our classes in our primary school. We will be using letters and sounds and we would like the wall charts to support this teaching. Has anyone seen any good ones?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. http://www.phonicsinternational.com/unit1.html

There are about 20 different versions of alphabetic code charts which are free to print from the webpage above.
    Some are 'Giant' charts (10 X A4 landscape) designed for use on classroom walls. Some of these are 'plain' with no Phonics Internatinonal mnemonics and can be used readily with use of Letters and Sounds.
    The order of sounds introduced from top to bottom of the charts is not identical with the order in Letters and Sounds, but this really shouldn't make much difference.
    There are 49 units of sound (not 44) as some of the units consist of two phonemes such as /ks/ and /yoo/ which need to be introduced. Other units of sound are choice ones for practical reasons such as /chu/ for the 'ture' chunk as in 'picture'.
    There is also a pack of three alphabetic code charts in the ORT Floppy's Phonics Sounds and Letters programme which does follow the order of Letters and Sounds. Of course there is a cost to these but they are 'ready made'. These have 50 units of sound - very similar to the PI units of sound.

5. LOL! Msz - you beat me to it![​IMG]

6. Msz

I'm having problems with my order Debbie ... I ordered 3 sets. Firstly they sent one. After a telephone call they sent another set of books [​IMG] ... hopefully everything will be there for September.
    Having said that we are fighting over the complete set ...

7. ooh - I'm sorry to hear about all the messing around.
    I wonder whether it is administration errors or struggling to keep up with orders? I have heard that FP Sounds and Letters is being well-received.
    It's also getting attention overseas.
    I am very interested/concerned about the international picture of teaching our complex alphabetic code. We've taken long enough to try to get things clearer in our own country and I'm very keen on supporting teachers, students and parents in other parts of the world too - hence Phonics INTERNATIONAL!![​IMG]

8. Msz

It has certainly been well recieved by reception and Y1 in my school [​IMG]

9. That's very good to hear.
    I do know your school has plenty of 'other' phonics programmes and resources - but I do hope they'll follow FP as a 'programme' as far as possible - including the multi-skills Activity Sheets which are sometimes avoided as people dismiss them as 'worksheets' - they are fantastically effective and children do love the routines. They are very 'core' and each child has to apply him or her self.
    Also, they give the children ownership of their work and learning - and if they are used as part of the 'bookbag routine' as recommended, they inform parents well - and may even be revised or completed at home - thus, 'little and often' learning which raises learning especially for the slower-to-learn children!
    Having said all that, I appreciate that people will use their phonics resources according to their context and professional judgement and needs!

10. Msz

At the moment the head wants us to continuing using JP to introduce sounds and for"bookbag routine" but we will certainly be using the activity sheets as reinforcement in reception and fully in Y1.

11. It's actually good to hear that the Jolly Phonics 'sounds book' book bag routine is still in place. I believe that there are a number of schools where sending the 'sounds book' home was abandoned since a change to 'following' Letters and Sounds.
    I suspect many of us learned about the advent of synthetic phonics teaching and good practice from Jolly Phonics - I certainly did!

12. Msz

I think my head's logic for continuing with JP when L&S was published was the whole "book bag routine"which our parents are familiar with and like. We tried L&S using JP resources but found it slow and fractured compared to JP alone.