1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

44 school outbreak? please @Scintillant, give some more details

Discussion in 'News' started by Corvuscorax, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Scintillant wrote this on another thread, I hope they, or someone else can give more details, when? where? what type of school? how many people involved?how serious? what was done about it? were the schools closed again? where is this information?

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

It appears in PHE's weekly Covid-19 surveillance report, published 3 days ago, which you can access online.

agathamorse and Scintillant like this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Does anybody have any linkes with a school where an outbreak has happened? What wasthe response? was the school closed down?

5. shevington2

shevington2 New commenter

if you go on the internet and type in Closed schools in Leicester that will provide you with a list of schools. Then go on each school web site to see what is happening

agathamorse likes this.
  6. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Not exactly close 'links' as you've requested, but I have friends in France/Germany and we've all heard there were outbreaks when schools reopened, plus apparently a school in this country was closed due to Covid https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-52635611 according to a friend who sent me this info.
    My question is what are we going to do about this? Are the unions going to let schools open 'as normal' while still expecting parents and grandparents to wear masks and distance in the shops, while gyms remain closed for safety reasons, and while these people are still expected to work from home if possible? What's the point, if their child has effectively been mixing with thousands (not to mention the fact that some children/staff have serious health problems after catching it)? Or are the unions still asking for bubbling/distancing in September?

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

How do unions prevent schools from opening ‘as normal’?

8. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Established commenter

I think distancing should still be insisted upon in schools in Sept especially as this may well be the rule in the rest of society. It should not be a case of the govt thinking ‘How can we get all students back? Hey, just get rid of the rule to keep 1m apart! Forget about the increased risk of passing on infection the closer you are...it suits our purpose.’

Alice K likes this.
  9. Newidentity

Newidentity New commenter

I see 2 possible scenarios in September.

1. The 1m rule, social distancing, shielding, grandparents looking after children rules will all be scrapped to allow schools to return as normal.

2. Wave 2 will be in full force, and full lockdown will return.

And in October, only the second scenario will exist, regardless of which was in force in September.

ajrowing and SadieAnn84 like this.
  10. runestone08

runestone08 New commenter

PeterQuint likes this.
  11. brush75

brush75 New commenter

12. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

One particularly virulent peripatetic member of staff? I imagine an ed psych could very quickly be a super-spreader, for example.

13. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

@Catgirl1964 primary pupils, especially younger ones, can't do social distancing. They try but they can't maintain it.