1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

40s and 60s help greatly needed please

Discussion in 'Geography' started by callum97, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Hi, I am an NQT who is needing a bit of help .

We are starting topic teaching after Easter and my topic is the 40s and 60s. I have a year 6 class. I am trying to plan my Geography. I have obviously looked at countries involved in the war for the 40s but I am struggling to think of ideas for the 60s.

All help on the 40s and 60s would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks all

2. Hi, I am an NQT who is needing a bit of help .

We are starting topic teaching after Easter and my topic is the 40s and 60s. I have a year 6 class. I am trying to plan my Geography. I have obviously looked at countries involved in the war for the 40s but I am struggling to think of ideas for the 60s.

All help on the 40s and 60s would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks all

3. Things that come to mind immediately:

Cuban missile crisis - is it bad that I thought of this first? Careful re stereotyping!

USA was very influential in the 60s so you could look at its history and what that means for today, eg:

music: USA v UK

entertainment

notion of 'teenager'

Other ideas:

spread of communism and domino theory (history but could look at countries involved and what they are like now as a result)

rise of travel and tourism - and the impact/effect

air travel

Anyway, just a few ideas. Hope they are of some help.

4. Space Race...... America poaching German rocket scientists before the Russians got them and the whole subsequent scramble to get to the moon first, mix it up with Solar system, seasons, tides etc. Good luck !

5. dhartley25

dhartley25 New commenter

You could have a look at the buildings and construction that influenced the age - beginning of the concrete jungles etc. Easy to still point some out in the local area as lots of 60's buildings still around.