1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

40000HKD a month, good salary in Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Sir_Barnaby, Mar 18, 2011.

1. I'll be interested to hear others' replies; I've just accepted a position offering the same salary (40k/month) with 18.5% gratuity, a ferry pass, medical/detnal & a relocation allowance at the start & end of the contract. I have 5 years experience and no dependents, so it seems fine. Housing is cheaper on Lantau which makes a difference...! And it's a nice place to live (well, I really like it).

2. mrjack

mrjack New commenter

Where have you guys found employment in HK? or where did you see the vacancies I've been trying to get out there for a while but have seen hardly any vacancies. I'm a Phys Ed teacher.

Thanks in advance

3. Don't know about tarbaca, but I emailed the schools that really appealed to me directly. I know there has been lots of debate on the forum about doing this, but it's worked for me twice now! In both cases, neither school had any advertised vacancies, so I guess I was lucky with my timing. It might be a bit late in the recruiting season for it now though (I emailed HK schools back in Jan) as most schools seem to have done the bulk of their recruiting already...you never know though!

4. mrjack

mrjack New commenter

Wow,
    I'm impressed. Were the schools in the English Schools Foundation or Independant Schools?
    Did you get the subject area you wanted?
    Thanks and good luck

5. Independent schools and yup, got my subject area. The package isn't quite as good as ESF - because ESF offer a housing allowance on top of their salary - but the school is perfect, so I don't mind. Good luck to you too!

6. So tabarca - just out of interest - is your 40k/month inclusive of your housing allowance?

7. jereni

jereni New commenter

I used to live in HK and I've got friends who live on Lantau island. If you're single and don't mind sharing, then HK$40k is ok, but rents in HK, even on Lantau, are high. You could easily spend half your salary on a small flat.