1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

£40 per certificate to be authorised...is this right?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by PussyGalore, Feb 17, 2008.

  1. I just did my two degrees and PGCE and that was for the UAE no problems.
  2. I had mine notarised (degree birth cert the lot) for 30 quid.

    You should also be able to get an official transcript or letter from your university. Mine did this for 25 quid as a two document bundle.

  3. towncryer

    towncryer Lead commenter

    I only did my degree and PGCE.Try to get away with as little as you can.I figured that the fact I had a degree did away with the need to attest the A levels,since Icouldn't have done degree or PGCE without them.I didn't need to do the MA since I only needed the aforementioned documents to satisfy the authorities.I had no problems with just the two documents. One good thing is that once they are appostiled by the foreign office you don't have to do that again...just the requirments for whatever country you are going to work in.If the job needs you to have degree and PGCE to get the job...just do those.There doesn't seem anypoint in also paying for any MA'S to be stamped if it's just a regular teaching job you are going for.
  4. Hi,
    Can any solicitor stamp your copies of degree and PGCE or does it have to be one registered with the British Foreign Commonwealth data base - if so where do I find one that is registered?
    Just starting the process of getting all documents attested and want to get it right, hope to travel to London this Friday with all stamped docs to visit the british foreign commonwealth office and then leg it to the UAE embassy all in one day. I will ask the UAE embassy to return them by post.
    Wish me luck!
  5. I just got the solicitor who worked on our house move to do it. When I got to office in London I had to wait a bit longer as he wasn't on their main data base but it still worked out OK. Wasn't held up too long (only about 30mins)
    By the way UAE visa office is not on Princes Gate it is in a street round the corner from main Embassy. Not far to walk but no info about where it is was given when I first made enquiries.
  6. Thanks for that.
  7. towncryer

    towncryer Lead commenter

    There is an approved solicitor just around the corner from the foreign office...they will direct you there if you haven't got your documents certified.It's not too expensive.and it's quick..though to save time photocopy the documents you want doing as they will only certify a copy...not the original certificate.
    Hope you can do it in a day.....remember there will be big queues in the foreign office..all the new overseas teachers getting their documents done.I also seem to remember that the embassy require your documents to be submitted by a certain time and it's not that easy to get across London in time to do that....check with the embassy about times to submit the documents...that way you save yourself a wasted journey if you don't finsh at the foreign office in time.
  8. Hi,
    I have done it! What a process though. I had my certificates copied and signed by a solicitor in my local town at a cost of £5 per document. We left at 5.45am to get to the foreign and commonwealth office for 9.30am - walked half of London to find it as we went to the main building and it is actually under Admirality Arch! Got there at 9.45 and began to wait in the que which had formed. I got in at 10am not too bad I thought but at the counter where you get your ticket number I was told my solicitor had signed my documents in the company name and not their own name so they were invalid!! Eventually found the solicitor in London which they direct you to and had the process done again at double the cost - £10 per document. (£45 spent so far not including fuel to London, parking and tube ticket!) Then returned to the Foreign and commonwealth office to get back in line - I kept my original ticket so did not have to wait too long. (A further £81) I collected my documents again after processing in 15 min, great! We then went across London to the UAE embassy getting there at 12 noon (it closes each day at 1pm) the wait here was minimal and I managed to leave my documents with a SAE for them to be returned to me next week. (another £60 - must be cash here) It can be done but make sure you get your solicitor to sign in their own NOT the company name! And take out a loan for the cost! Fortunately my school will refund my £81 and £60 when I get to the UAE, I am a lucky one by the sound of it. Good luck to all I hope this information has been useful?!
  9. P.S. The UAE embassy is about 48 Princes Gate NOT 30 as given to me by my school, it is across the road and up the hill from the science museum.
  10. Anyone done this who moved from another country to the UAE?

    I've been told to get my certificates notarised but that's it. The school just said to send them direct to them...

    (I'm Brit & lived in the UAE before; I didn't have to go to the FCO or UAE embassy that time but maybe the rules changed)
  11. groovybob

    groovybob New commenter

    OH! MY! DAYS!!!
    this is costing me a 1/4 of my monthly wage packet!!!
    As a Lowly Mainscale teacher supporting a wife who is studying at Uni this is really harsh!!!

    do you think my new school ill forward me some funds to cover it!!??
  12. rednelly84

    rednelly84 Occasional commenter

    Some schools will reimburse you...some will not. So check that out.
    My current school only asked for my PGDE to be legalised and my new school have asked that my BSc is legalised also. Read the list of required documents the school need very carefully so you aren't caught out.
  13. tyler durden

    tyler durden New commenter

    For Qatar I just needed my degree and PGCE legalised.
  14. I would suggest that you double check with the school not just their list too because my list said PGCE or BSc and then they later asked for both.

Share This Page