1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

40% of teachers plan to quit.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by dunnocks, Apr 16, 2019.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

BetterNow, Bentley89, vannie and 7 others like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We have this every year.

Nobody listens or cares.

3. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

40% seems low. Clearly some people enjoy being miserable.

BetterNow, Bentley89, Marisha and 9 others like this.
  4. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

I am planning to go as soon as I hit 55 and can get my pension out. Wish I could go sooner.

BetterNow, Shedman, stonerose and 2 others like this.
  5. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I went at 50 to supply, working 3 months a year. Last year, I quit completely. Now I spend my time walking, reading, becoming an expert Asian food cook, cycling, just signed up for a sailing course, lots and lots and lots of travels and a big dollop of gloating. Happy days!!

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It’s the greatest thing the profession ever did. Quit in large numbers and also express an intention to quit if one hasn’t already quit.

It’s a brilliant thing!

Before we did this, we were being mashed. Wilshaw and his predecessors queued up to criticise us. Gove came in and introduced academies. MATs and the capability rule. Ofsted drove the data bus at SLT who in termed ruined careers. They were putting teacher education as nothing more than a quick chat with an experienced teacher to learn the craft and job done. Workload was ever increasing with deep triple marking, endless chasing of teach to the test. Ofsted were like the Spanish Inquisition. No pay rises. Removal of pension at 60. Bloated fat cat salaries. For profit companies with their fingers all over related party contracts. League tables, progress 8 - the lot.

And now. We’ve successfully drawn a correlation between the above and teachers leaving. With capitalists in charge that means all of the above is costing money unnecessarily. No quick fixes, or 'workload toolkits' (quoted today by dear Mr Hinds) are working. In order to make teaching cost less they are having to change all of the above. Strip it all out.

It’s a terrible price for the profession to pay and we all know many experienced teachers lost to the profession. But their sacrifice is not in vain. I’m seeing genuine change on the ground. The new generation of teachers are entering the profession with a mantra to excise this nonsense from our profession. Until such a time that we’ve reclaimed our profession, teachers will continue to leave. And I for one thank them for it.

7. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

That's a great thought, but it isn't something I've noticed. Our younger teachers don't even joint a union. They seen eager for fast promotion. Those that don't get on will undoubtedly exit the profession pretty quickly.

But your experience is probably wider than mine. Can you give examples?

8. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

It's about time there was a 40 hour week that had to be stuck to. No working over that. I never understood why in every other profession that's what they do, but not for teachers!

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

New teachers in our place seem to be an endangered species.

10. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

As I turn out a three figure number of teachers each year I can assure you they have the mantra correctly on this nonsense. We are evidence informed in terms of our approach so wage war on deep marking and poor marking policies, excessive planning, observations for trick pony lessons, flight paths, - all of it. Mentors have to abide by the expectations as well. All of us need to be changing this culture of nonsense, but the ones who we really need to change are the new teachers. That teach first model is typical of it - burn out and leave. A number of SCITTs do this as well. It just creates another layer of people who think if they had to suffer then everyone has to suffer.
    New entrants to the profession have to be empowered to create a new profession - one where people can have a family, a life and be a teacher.

11. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Its such a shame that we live in a society where everything is so connected that you can usually find instant results and where products are widely available and times to obtain anything or so brief.

Years ago people understood that actions cannot be done instantly and take time. Data sharing in the way we do now wasn't possible so people had to have independence you could do other things. It wasn't possible to frequently assess students and send data constantly to the dfe. Google reviews didn't exist and Facebook weren't around so schools didn't have to act as a PR machine. Every mistake didn't get shared 40000 times and didn't keep coming back every few months seeming like a new thing.

In many ways we were free. Kids were free, we could teach, student could talk you could hold conversations not wondering if you were going to be shared on Snapchat, you could encourage and if a lesson went off at a tangent so what the students could still grow and develop. You had time because the ability to share and track wasn't anywhere near as advanced 10 years back as it is now. Learning walks were just called looking at what's happening, no need to be logged as pm systems couldn't exist so you weren't wondering if some SLT person or new hod would use that system to assert dominance.

As results weren't so closely monitored you didn't have to show you were killong yourself with work by making in 3 different colours. You could just write on the wiyeboard I had a look many of you are making these faults you need to do this.

Do I like teaching yes

Am I fed up with teaching yes

Why because I've seen it change from a profession where I could make a change to one where everything has to be the same as our skills aren't encouraged to be individualised everyone has to be the same.

I hate feeling everyday I'm letting the students down because I'm trying to force them through the next assessment.

12. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

A thousand times this. I loathe the sausage factory approach. Works great for sausages, is death for education.

13. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Teachers need to help themselves here.

On the FB page that I belong to (Primary) there are a wealth of young, massively keen and I would imagine newly-qualified teachers posting pictures of their incredibly detailed displays which clearly took forever to make, along with pictures of kids' work (anonymised) that has been marked to within an inch of its life in 85 different colours, paragraphs and paragraphs of teacher comments. People spending their own money on resources. People making resources that must take forever. And I think sometimes (not always) that it's a competition. Who can have the most beautifully decorated classroom.

I am all for keenness. I think it's great that this enthusiasm is there. It's just not sustainable when as a teacher you want to start your own family and then realise you can't keep that level up, because the amount of hours outside the working day are too great an ask. I used to be that teacher many years ago. I burnt out, took a break, and came back to the profession determined not to always put other peoples' children before my own. Teachers need to realise that if they want to last in this job they need to a) slow down and b) stand up to unrealistic management demands. And they can only do that if they stand together.

I am a better teacher now for having less carp on my classroom walls, taking less work home, questioning (politely!) requests made by those above me in the food chain and most importantly, putting my own kids first once in a while.

BetterNow, Bentley89, Marisha and 8 others like this.
  14. bertiehamster

bertiehamster New commenter

Well done, but your own kids should be first always. We expect that of the parents of our students. I'm sorry if it looks like I'm having a go, this is not my intention-I suspect you're making the same point in a more subtle way. I'm personally sick of this attitude of "treat the job as if it's your life's mission" rather than just a job which had a start and will have an end and is a decreasingly satisfying way of paying off a mortgage. I'm sick of hearing teachers say they've had a night off when they've not put in unpaid overtime at home.
    Your last but one paragraph however needs to be shouted from the rooftops, printed in billposter type, sent to Mr Hinds and his cronies every half-hour until the overpaid fools get the message and actually get off their brexit-infected backsides to do something instead of bleating like frightened lamblets about "toolkits" and other such couilles. However there's still a few years to go before the wheels drop off completely, so nothing will improve. Thankfully I'll be retired well before then.

Bentley89, Shedman, drek and 2 others like this.
  15. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I'm now in the morally dubious position (actually not dubious, just plain wrong) that I don't want it to be fixed. I manage to drift around in long-term supply, receive a high salary without having to engage with any of the carp that is driving 'proper' teachers away. At least Mrs Cazorla is on the same page but still over-working on a 0.6 timetable.

My worry is that this shambles will end soon forcing me to step up to properness or, much more likely, bail out for a job stacking shelves or whatever. This is counter-balanced by the hope that the outstanding (and strangely enough coasting) school my brood are at will not collapse until they both leave.

bessiesmith, Shedman, drek and 2 others like this.
  16. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

Oh, don't you worry about that, it'll carry on in the same pathetic ways or thereabouts for many, many years, nowt will be fixed anytime soon. These bubbling incompetents wouldn't know where to start and solving the main problems would mean questioning the system, making real structural changes etc. No way that will happen. They don't care enough to really give it much thought anyway and far too arrogant and disconnected to listen to people on the ground.

In fact, I'd wager that it'll only get worse. Your future is very rosy IMO! :D

Shedman, drek, lardylegs and 3 others like this.
  17. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Teaching must have the fastest promotion prospects of any job. Last year my line manager was a very immature NQT with no life experience what so ever. She was the only one who was prepared to take the job. I don't think she is happy, and she certainly isn't useful, but she is well paid

18. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Occasional commenter

Is the job of teaching and promotion within teaching ageist?

19. topquark

topquark New commenter

No because there's hardly anybody over 45 to be ageist to: they've either left, been sacked after formal capability, been bullied and hounded out or been on long term sick leave.

I just can't understand why teachers over 50 are targeted when so many other professions hold experienced practitioners in high regard: doctors, surgeons, lawyers, film directors, football managers, prime ministers errrr.........

BetterNow, tonymars, vannie and 4 others like this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Not everywhere.