1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

40-60+ and ELGs - help!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by littlebeth, Feb 26, 2013.

1. There are quite a few DM's that do not directly correlate with the ELG though -
    Number DM 40-60 month- counting objects up to 10 and beginning to count beyond.....
    Number ELG - children count reliably with numbers from one to twenty......

I have been assessing against DM's and after Easter (the children that are ready) I will observe them assess them usinf a mixture of the ELG and DM. At the end of the year I will assess them all against the ELG and any children that are emerging I will assess them against the DM so that year 1 know exactly where they are!

2. I am very interested in this thread too, as like everyone else I am not 100% clear in particularly the writing or numeracy ELG. Mainly due to the 'expected level' examples for writing provided in the handbook appearing to be the equivalent of a 1b. I am fully aware that we must not compare NC to ELG's though it is completely linked and an obvious progression which to me completely overlaps. At the moment I am under the impression that any child working at a 1c... Communicating meaning using basic CVC type sentences is not good enough, and that to meet the ELG the writing needs to show digraph awareness and communicate meaning using some pretty good spelling. I am going on a moderation with some other schools soon, so maybe some light will be shed.

I am interested in others view and opinions on this ....And secretly hoping I am wrong lol!

3. L10

L10 New commenter

I am so confused now! I have N / R and I was happy with our system but now I am really questioning it...

We have 30-50 emerging,developing, secure then 40-60 emerging, developing, secure then they move to ELG.

Is this incorrect?

Does anyone know where I can read up on this please? It's ridiculous that different LAs are saying different things!

4. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

But don't you think that the ELGs are somewhat beyond level 1 in many cases? If you look at writing for example, most of level 1 is "supported". I've just been looking at the maths and I can't see much difference between the new ELG and level 1. I thought the whole point was that the new ELGs would work better with the NC, so that an "exceeding" child would be working at a NC level ...

5. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

PS - our LA told us to work within DM until this half term, then go back and assess everything the child had done against ELGs.