1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

4 years today

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HelenREMfan, Sep 21, 2015.

1. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

R.E.M. ceased to be. :(

Seemed appropriate somehow.

rosievoice likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah they were good weren't they?

A nice antidote to the Grunge...

HelenREMfan likes this.
  3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I only discovered REM about five years ago! (Late developer).

4. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Wrong on soooooo many levels. But I'm glad you finally did.

Don't think I've ever seen them put on a bad show - even when they were first setting out (well in this country that is) I first saw them in 1984 and finally in 2005. I was never disappointed and often moved to tears - I'm a big girl's blouse.

5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I am jealous about the 1984 show Spirit..... I saw them in Manchester MEN, then Stirling castle Scotland 1999, Sheffield, Manchester Old Trafford x 2 , London Hyde Park, Twickenham, Dublin Olympia, London Hammersmith and loved every show.... esp Stirling. The Dublin shows were for the fan club members and were a small venue show.... I got Stipe's set list and was the envy of the crowd (got Stipe's lyric sheet to "So fast so Numb" at Manchester Move too) The major moment tho was meeting Michael Stipe at the Piccadilly Waterston's book signing. I broke all records getting there from Paris as I only found out about it the week before. He is such a genuinely nice man - he stayed an hour and a half late so he saw everyone in the queue even though the management said he was leaving at 7 45pm! (I was the last allowed in the queue and only because the manager remembered me emailing him from Paris to plead my cause!) Their fan club really looked after fans and we would get early entry to large show venues so I have been lucky enough to be at the front of several shows.
    The R.E.M. taxi stopped right in front of me in general traffic in London when they were doing their Hyde park shows..... I was nearly incapable of taking a quick photo I was so excited !
    25983_109835222361917_1775894_n.jpg

6. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

OOoooh we might have stood near each other!