1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

4 x 4 in schools & Gcse engineering ?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by tecteach, Apr 1, 2011.

1. I have had information sent from AQA and they do include challenges such as the 4 x 4 in schools to represent the teamwork side of the controlled assessment. As long as each team member works on a different part of the project ie one member suspension, one member transmission etc
    Looks like good way to cover a topic in an interesting way / format.

2. Careful, Unit 1 is the Examination.
    Unit 2 does include a Controlled task for a teamwork element but each pupils's work must be clearly identifiable. This sounds like a real headache.
    My plan (atm) is to introduce (probably) Scelextric In Schools into Year10 to motivate but move to a more easily partitioned task for GCSE. I would worry if one of the pupils in a team was a poor attender, or brakes a leg hang-gliding,or falls out with the reat of the team. A very realistic scenario for a real Engineering Company but do I really want the hassle?

3. Hi Polly,
    You are right, it is Unit 2 and I have investigated this further and come to the same conclusion. Having just completed and marked Unit 6 of the Engineering Diploma I can vouch for your fears. Unit 6 is a team work task where learners have to manufacture a set of components as a manufacturing team with each persons work accounted for. It has been a nightmare to say the least so for the first year I am steering well clear.
    Thanks for the replies !