1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

4 hours a day for prep?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by AshgarMary, Jan 19, 2011.

1. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Last time I taught (a long time ago, I admit!), there were 8 periods a day (between 9am and 4pm) and typically you would get 1 a day 'free' for prep. though you would normally end up covering another class during that time.
    I was just talking with a friend who is contemplating going into teaching, and she has been told that these days, you get a 50/50 ratio of contact time and planning time and so there are 4 hours a day 'free'!!! Is this true? How does that work out if there are say 5 contact hours a day or are you deemed to have 3 hours worth of 'frees' after the end of the pupils' day?
    Is there a good link that gives an up to date summary of information like this (I mean details, not the 'if you are enquiring about hours and stuff you are not worthy of being a teacher' type response) do quite often get asked about being a teacher by people so I would like to point them at the right info!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Hahahahahaha! She's in for a bit of a shock, isn't she?
    It is SO not true.
    You get 10% of the standard teaching week free for planning, preparation and assessment. It's not meant to be enough to do all your ppa, it's a 'contribution'.

3. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

That's what I thought MM!
    Apparently the TTA have told her that! Maybe it refers to while you're training? Not sure how PGCEs are organised these days.

4. [​IMG] If you can jot down the name of that place and post it on here, I'll apply and jack in my measly 10% PPA job.

5. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Hi all,
    It sounds like your friend has been quoted what to expect during the training year. We have GTP teachers who teach around 30% of the timetable for the forst term, rising thorugh 50% to about 80% by the end of the year!
    You are entitled to the equivalent of 10% of your teaching time as PPA, so on your example of a 40 period week, you'd probably get 4 frees a week (to be pedantic, since you'd teach 36, you'd be entitled to 3.6 frees, but that would surely be rounded up)
    In my school we have long lessons, and 15 periods a week. Mainscale teachers get a generous 3 of those as non-contact, although this allows us all to do a Department 'Duty' once a week.
    Mark