1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3D shapes

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by littlelucy, Dec 31, 2010.

1. I revise 2d shapes, emphasising that these shapes are 2d/flat, they can be drawn on paper but not held in your hand. Then I introduce that other shapes are 3d/solid shapes, you can hold them in your hand. I show them the shapes I am focussing on, generally 3 at a time, name and describe them, then sort them. I teach my class to name, sort and describe these 3d shapes: sphere, cube, cuboid, cylinder, square-based pyramid, triangular-based pyramid, triangular prism and cone.
    Make sure that you emphasise correct language ie. 3d shapes have faces and edges; 2d shapes have sides.
    Good luck!
    Lucy

2. Try playing 'shape shop'. Have a variety of shapes laid out and a toy phone. You are the shopkeeper, the children are your helpers. People phone to order shapes, but do not know shape names, only properties. You ask the children to help you find and name the shape that is wanted -eg "It has 6 square faces" etc. Depending on how secure your children are in differentiating 2D and 3D you could have a mixture of both types of shape. Of course you've got the old dilemma about having 2D 'shapes' (ie cut out shapes that are actually 3D). I always say that 3D shapes will stand up between your hands and make a funny sandwich with too much filling (with your hands as the bread), and 2D shapes disappear when placed between your hands - you can't see what is in your sandwich. Not completely satisfactory for the purists, but it seems to have some resonance for the children!

3. Have a selection of 3D shapes wrapped up and real 2D shapes wrapped up. e.g cylinder and a tube of sweets. Children predict from what they can feel. Children unwrap and match the real obect to the shape, describing and explaining how they know they are the same using corrrect language. They really enjoy this and it helps them relate shape to real obects. After that they can then go on a 3D shape hunt.

4. The vocabulary guidance (NNS) states, as reception class 3D shape vocab, cube, pyramid, sphere and cone, so perhaps concentrate on these more general terms, while pointing out and demonstrating that there are different types of pyramids. nb I don't know if this guidance has been superseded, or there might be more specific vocab required as school policy.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://numeracy.cumbriagridforlearning.org.uk/getfile.php?src=678/reception_pack.pdf