1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3D CAD use

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by cluneyd, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Solidworks, even though ive got my pro engineer accreditation!!

You can export/save the models as dxf's by clicking on a face or by producing a working drawing.

2. I think you'll find that SolidWorks is very popular in the engineering and design world. Just for information, http://zw3d.zwcad.org/index.cfm provides some of the best filleting and surface modelling. These parts of the software were supposedly developed by NASA. I would recommend it as a 3D CAD tool, including mould tool design, etc, but is not widely used in the UK.

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

It's a recurring theme here on which software to use. My view has always been to look at what Industry uses and follow suit. At best, your kids will leave you with transferable skills. At worse, they might leave you adept in a program nobody has ever heard of outside a school.
    If you're keen enough to ask, you also have to ask whether the choice is down to a financial thing that benefits the school, a software that makes it easy for the teacher, or ultimately, one that is useful in the long-term for the kids you teach.