1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3D before 2D ?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Nazard, Jan 27, 2011.

1. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I'm not sure about that Nazard. I work with childrenfrim extremely deprived backgrounds, moat cone to school with language at least 2 years below their chronological age.
    If we followed the curriculum to the letter our children would be even more disadvantaged.
    Eyfs and the national strategies presume so much prior exerience which our chidren just don't have.
    Let's just say we are somewhat " flexible" in our approach.

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Apologies, fat fingers. Most come to school, obviously.

3. I actually agree with you here.
    I am a teacher - albeit an NQT but with Maths background, so it's kind of in my nature to secure a positive mathematical environment for my children.
    I have argued on a number of occassions that my son is doing well because of his home experiences, rather than him actually being v good at maths (although he is a quick learner).
    Unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to see how my methodology would work in an EY setting, so I can't make a comparison. I would, however, be interested to know how this method links to Montessorri Schooling and, particularly as they get older, how it links to the constructivists theories of learning.
    I am still of the opinion that maths is best learned through personal experiences and until proved otherwise, I'll continue to believe this.
    PS thanks for the compliment - much appreciated! [​IMG]

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

There was a very good thread about Montessori schools a while back on opinion. Some of the original ideology and beliefs behind the practice were quite a surprise to many.