1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

39 people dead in a lorry in Essex

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

someones children, another mass suffocating maybe? I wonder what we were nattering about on here as they died. :( poor people

ShowerGel and caress like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The driver has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

3. Corvuscorax

That doesn't mean he killed them deliberately with violence I don't think. He could be a people smuggler who suffocated them accidentally. I don't know. I'm only guessing.

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Wouldn't that be manslaughter?
    I won't be beating myself up about what I was doing at the time they died.

towncryer and border_walker like this.
  5. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Its shocking.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm devastated at the thought of how they died.
    A murder charge is surely proportionate-it was refrigerated haulage truck, and as such it was only the driver who had control of opening and closing the unit.
    As low as minus 25 degrees in there.

How can manslaughter be the charge?

7. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Assuming that the driver even knew that they where in the lorry is rather dangerous. Suspect that the people behind this will never really be found.

8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

What's the legal definition of murder? He'd surely have to have deliberately set out to freeze them to death.

border_walker likes this.
  9. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

SnIL has just been to France with van - family moving back to England. He had to take one man out of the van in France and then another got in after he passed customs - he told the officials when he arrived in the UK. - that there was a refugee in the van.
    Although it distressed him to do so.
    He was interviewed for a long time by officials even though he had been the victim in some ways. Well not victim, but innocent party.

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Last few times we've come back from Dunkirk or Calais, we've had to open the boot (of our standard saloon car) to show that there isn't anyone in there; as have all other cars around us.

So how could a lorry get through with 39 people on board?

towncryer and caress like this.
  11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Maybe Holyhead has weaker security?

towncryer likes this.
  12. FrankWolley

Zeebrugge (came from there, I believe).

On Edit - the cargo came from Zeebrugge (but before that from where?), the tractor unit came from N. Ireland via Holyhead.

13. Corvuscorax

They didn't come that way, apparently. sounds like the paperwork is unclear.

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed. The lorry driver could be totally innocent as he simply would have picked up the fridge unit with his lorry from the port and delivered it. Or he knew and was an accomplice.
    I assume those are the facts that the enquiry will establish.

towncryer and border_walker like this.
  15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Have you heard of this thing called money?

caress likes this.
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

We've adapted our overnight stopping arrangements before returning from France in our camper van - we avoid overnight stops in Calais. We used to stop overnight near Dunkirk and get the ferry from there, but following some tales of overnight shenanigans we prefer to use the Tunnel late afternoon and stop overnight in southern England. More costly but the security on the approaches to the Tunnel terminal seems better.

Not a few Autoroute rest areas some distance from Calais have been closed to prevent trucks being broken into overnight. We've routinely had machine gun armed French soldiers doing internal checks of our camper at ferry ports, but my guess is you simply can't do an internal check of every truck trailer without seriously disrupting international trade.

caress likes this.
  17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I would think such a check could have health & safety / hygiene implications if the load is fresh food of some kind, or pharmaceuticals.

18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My understanding is that whatever goods the truck was carrying has to be scrapped whenever a stowaway is found in the back of a truck.

The insurance company takes the initial hit, then everything goes up in price a bit, as they recover their losses.

towncryer likes this.
  19. FrankWolley

If you think that some people were bribed to allow it to go through the checks, you may be correct but - like so much else you post here - you have absolutely no evidence to prove it, do you? ;)

ilovesooty likes this.
  20. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

It's just so unbearably sad. How desperate must those poor people have been to get into (with their children) a refrigerated truck?

Bedlam3 likes this.