1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"38 degrees": the use of unqualified people as cover "teachers" is totally unacceptable! Support the campaign.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Phillippo, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Support the 38 Degrees campaign, "Using the unqualified as cover "teachers" in schools is totally unacceptable..." Visit the following website:
    http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/1424291-the-use-of-unqualified-staff-as-cover-teachers-i?ref=title

2. Support the 38 Degrees campaign, "Using the unqualified as cover "teachers" in schools is totally unacceptable..." Visit the following website:
    http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/1424291-the-use-of-unqualified-staff-as-cover-teachers-i?ref=title

3. I can't see campaign like this one on this website???

4. Go to 38degrees.uservoice.com then on the right hand side there is a list with the heading 'All Ideas', click 'Public Services' from that list and the campaign is amongst the list that comes up. Hope that helps. We'd better get clicking, it's only got about 9 votes so far

5. Yes, keep voting by clicking 3 votes at a time when you get to the campaign page.
    Click "Public services" >scroll down for suggested campaigns then use supply teachers as a search term.
    Keep voting and build up votes!

6. Keep signing in to 38 degrees and voting for the campaign!

7. ..........and the shouting to the deaf continues.

8. this should link you straight to it (or maybe not)

currently at 33 votes, we need to get this ball rolling!!!!!

9. Yes, but the deaf can still read with their OWN EYES and "mindseye" and hopefully understand what the campaign is all about! The deaf have also other "senses" in operation???

10. Thanks.
    Get voting for employment justice so that kids have qualified and registered teachers teaching them and not all manner of unqualified people!

11. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

I have voted! and I will arrange for more votes to added today by other people. I hope that you have all emailed your MP's to ask them to ask questions in next weeks Education Bill debate.

12. Using an unqualified person to cover classroom in England is quite common. It is certainly not acceptable. School budget has been cut and the head teachers are now faced with the dilemma of how to reduce spending. That is cheap labour courtesy of the new coalition government. Real teaching professionals suffer the pain of unemployment.

13. No, that was down to your bloody labour party, comrade!

14. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

Stuart I am getting worried, it is the second time I have agreed with you in the last month, but you are correct the blame should go to the Labour party and especially Alan Johnson and the detested Ed Balls. They could have brought in rules to stop this abuse, but decided that they wanted to destroy the teaching profession instead and that is why the did not get on with the NUT, who refused to sign the workforce agreement, unlike the ATL and the NASUWT. So anyone who blames the coalition government is in denial, I accept that Michael Gove could have done something by now.

15. I'm a libertarian myself and quite a fundamentalist as well. Sadly, the Tory party are not economic liberals and seem to be as "big government" and speech over substance as the rest of the liblabcon. Even though Labour were awful beyond description, I sadly have little hope for these wet chumps. I personally think Balls is one of the most odious people in politics. He is a cancerous tapeworm of a man and a hypocritical one at that.

16. There are many comments on these forums about the use of support staff instead of qualified teachers due to cost implications brought on by the recession.
    But consider these questions:-
    1 When did the recession start?
    2 Where and when were the first references to the possibility of support staff being used for cover instead of qualified teachers?

17. When TAs started to cover for half a lesson while they were waiting for a supply to arrive, it was preferable to the class being split to join other classes, which was what used to happen. Trouble is, that was the thin end of the wedge and now the schools have no money, it's becoming more and more commonplace. I can talk quite candidly to the heads of the schools I normally go to, I've being going there for years and they know me well. They tell me they would much rather have a supply but simply can't afford me. Also no-one is going on courses because they can't afford the supply. It all comes down to money in the end.

18. Support the 38 Degrees campaign, "Using the unqualified as cover "teachers" in schools is totally unacceptable..." Visit the following website:
    Looks good, just and fair to me.

19. Hi
    I'm completely new to this forum but glad to find that there are other teachers as angry as I am with this situation.
    The reason I'm on the computer today is because I've no work!!! I've been doing supply for years but this year there is definitely less.
    I have tried to find that 38degree link but couldn't, does anyone know if they are only kept up for a specific period of time?
    I will also write to my MP.

20. FOUND IT AND VOTED