1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"38 Degrees" for more power to supply teachers...set an avalanche rolling!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Quietgenius, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Unemployed, long suffering supply teachers who have seen their livelihoods reduced to virtually zero through the totally unacceptable use of all manner of unqualified staff as cover "teachers" need outside help.
    The profession, unions and this Governent seem incapable and oblivious to the current unacceptable situation. School pupils deserve better, parents and the public need to know!
    Power and change for this most iportant of issues. Click and set up a petition for:
    Every lesson in every class for every pupil, a qualified teacher!
    Visit:
    http://38degrees.org.uk/

2. Unemployed, long suffering supply teachers who have seen their livelihoods reduced to virtually zero through the totally unacceptable use of all manner of unqualified staff as cover "teachers" need outside help.
    The profession, unions and this Governent seem incapable and oblivious to the current unacceptable situation. School pupils deserve better, parents and the public need to know!
    Power and change for this most iportant of issues. Click and set up a petition for:
    Every lesson in every class for every pupil, a qualified teacher!
    Visit:
    http://38degrees.org.uk/

3. Every class timetabled for core and foundation subjects and RE in all key stages must be assigned a qualified teacher. I am not making that up but those principles are written into so many official documentd such as Regulations and Guidance made under the Education Act 2002 or the School Teachers Pay and Conditions Document 2011.
    But how many of those controlling the educaton service such our political leaders, senior civil servants, politicl leaders or head teahers have read those documents let alone take any notice of such statements. Look at the Head teachers forum and note the questions and comments about the daily level of teachers pay; how many teachers get a daily rate of 1/195 of the annual salary as one respondent claimed?

4. My main supply used to be LEA paid @ 1/195, last couple of years agency work has been displacing this, or there has been little work since this September....but last week 3 days and two half days paid to scale.

5. My experience is that my wages have dropped since last year. OK, so I'm with a different agency for my present long term post, so the drop in wages is disguised by different circumstances. But, in reality, I have more responsibility (39 pupils in a nursery instead of 26) than last year and I am working harder. My agency says .... "We can't charge the school more in the present climate." I am doing the job of a permanent contract teacher on the cheap, because I am conscientious, and also, because I want to ingratiate myself in the slim hope of being made permanent, or at the very least to get a good reference. It sickens me that I have to sell myself short like this, but the other big factor is the children's well-being and their education, which I find I can't sell short in retaliation for being exploited.

6. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

39 pupils in a nursery. Is this legal?

7. Yes - with a teacher and 2 NNs. Ratio of 1:13. It's the absolute minimum number of adults allowed.

8. Agencies and outsourcing are IMO the greatest cause of lack of work , poor pay, removal of employment and pension rights.
    This is being expanded to every public sector job possible. Employment rights of everyone are firmly in the government's sights. Is anyone really fooled by, "employees need to be flexible"?
    Supply teachers have taken this for years and now it is gathering a frightening speed .
    Unions need to do more than sell us cheap insurance and discounts at shops I certainly dont go to. However, we need to demand more of our unions and back them when they take the lead on our behalf.

9. Come on guys get the campaign out into the public domain!
    Vote on the 38 DEGREES website!

10. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Disgraceful situation - I agree. How can schools honestly issue mission statements about their commitment to education whilst using unqualified staff, with no degree or teaching qualification, to teach? One school around here with 400 pupils aged 11 - 16 has: 1 Executive Head, 1 Head of School, 6 Assistant Heads, 7 Instructors, 4 Cover Supervisors, 17 TAs and - get this - 15 Teachers. I know because I looked on their website and they are all proudly listed. Wonder if the parents have read it. Pretty clear that their priorities are NOT to ensure that their pupils receive a decent education. It is pathetic.

11. Two comments or questions about this school:-
    1 Does this school website publish the school policy on cover since it is a requirement that pupils, staff and parents are made aware of such a policy.
    2 What subjects are these Instructors teaching and how many of them are teaching illegally? Instructors can only legally be employed when there are no qualified teachers available and with 49,000 unemployed teachers, 45,000 Supply Teachers many of whom are looking for work and unknown numbers of teachers misemployed I do not believe that there are no teachers available.

12. Absolutely cvorrect!

13. Keep voting!

14. Unbelievably stupid and unfair and totally unacceptable for heads to employ armies of unqualified staff with all manner of ridiculous job titles as impostor teachers!
    What a stupid "profession" ! Would this malign behaviour have happened in the NHS? The BMA is toooooooooooooooooo powerful.