1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

37 Applications & 20 interviews and now a job!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by chuckieirish, Jun 15, 2012.

1. I finished my probation year this time last year and it took 20 applications and 8 interviews to get a one year contract. this year looking for the Holy grail that is a permanent post I have completed 15 more applications and 12 interviews. I have finally landed a full time permanent job in the City I choose to live in. If I can be any help to anyone out there searching just let me know and send me a message, The playing field we are on is very uneven and if your like me talking about yourself in interviews does not come naturally. Perseverance is key and not to be too hard on yourself if you don't get an a job after a good (or bad) interview. I have wrote about some of my journey in this blog;

http://goddividedbyzero.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/saints-are-sinners-who-kept-on-going.html

As I said feel free to contact me if I can be of an help at all. I am a Maths teacher in Scotland.
    Best of Irish luck,
    Michael

2. Dear chukieirish thanks for your reply. I've recently had a few interviews and had the ''you were our 2nd best candidate, sorry, thanks for coming'' call. Have been feeling a little deflated about that but at the same time the placement job has acted as a bit of a anchor for me though I know I shouldn't really see it that way till the job offer actualises, like you said.
    I've also had some good news I passed my placement with a very good (whoop!) and I've also had an interview at the school. I was hoping to get a reply on the same day but instead I've been told I'll get a decision by next week.
    I really hope I get it but at the same time the financial thing is bugging me. It's ridiculous really because I don't really have any financial committments so I'm in no desperate need for money. I just feel that maybe, to others, it doesn't really qualify as a ''real'' teaching job because of the pay difference.
    At the same time, I've had a couple of my other friends tell me that they've secured jobs as well and I've been extremely happy for them but at the same time, and I feel awful for feeling this, it makes me feel more deflated about the fact that I don't have a job as of yet.
    More than the money though I really want to have a class of my own and I'm hoping that I don't have to go down the supply job routine.
    -Will let you know how it goes, wish me luck!