1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

360 degree headteacher feedback

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by sunderland79, Jun 27, 2015.

1. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of teachers giving feedback on headteacher leadership at the end of the year? Has it worked for you? Any resources? Good idea/bad idea? Thanks. Not long to go!

2. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Question the wisdom of SLT? That way lies capabilitIes proceedings.

3. Hair Shirt

Hair Shirt New commenter

I don't think you could bring capability proceedings against staff just because of what the said in answer to a 360 feedback but I agree with newposter it is a really bad idea. Staff are there to be directed by the headteacher - that is why legally it is called directed time. Whether they like it or not is neither here nor there.

Lots of teacher post on here complaining about pupil voice, that it undermines the authority of the teacher. Well the same applies upwards too. Teacher voice is not to be encouraged. No good ever came of it.

4. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

We don't agree at all. Are you for real? Why listen to the views of those doing the job they? You must work in my school, where spineless, spiteful, thick and vain 'leaders' hunt and destroy those who dare dissent in a feeding frenzy.

5. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

Not a HT but to give my musings: if my HT were doing stuff I didn't like (as in, felt was actively damaging rather than differences of opinion), I'd have either told them (directly, via a teacher voice forum if one existed, via middle leadership/SLT, or via union/whistleblowing if it was serious) OR it would be things I felt unable to bring up or that just weren't worth the hassle.

There is a power structure here. If you want feedback, you need to prove willing to listen, that you will not lash out (knowingly or unknowingly) against those who criticise - and that kind of trust cannot come from a one-off activity.

Also, I'd hate the activity, if one were offered, because I am not a HT, nor am I SLT, and I wouldn't have much of a clue how to be useful in giving them any constructive feedback.

6. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

A 360 is part of other stuff like leading from the middle and I think NPQH so the question is a valid one. I am a head and I wouldn't ask my staff in that direct a way, as other people have said you are opening yourself and SLT up to all the niggles that tired and grumpy end of term teachers (and heads) have.

Personally I take a nice sunny day and some free time in the holidays to do a review for myself. You probably know where your leadership strengths lie and where your crisis or cringeworthy times have been over the year. There are loads of leadership tools online if you feel you need it to be more focused. I write down how it's gone, successes and areas for development, as I think it's really useful to revisit it across the year to prevent repeating scenarios.

The other thing to do is to build in leadership reflection time for yourself and SLT, so that you can build on strengths and address issues across the year e.g. this year I realised I was doing the lions share of reporting to governors, so I gave different SLT members the next slots at governors and time to prepare it. Worked well especially as a month later we got inspected and they already had the info. and practice under their belt

7. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

We must be in the same school, along with Compassman.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have just worked supply in an academy and if the head where to listen to the TA's ,let alone the teachers, he might well have found lots of thoughts..not all complementary of his leadership style.

After over 35 years of teaching its rare to find any school where there has not been some comment as to leadership style or ability........yet one never knows what filters up as once on a course of action you wont or can not change direction.

Even Governors are reluctant to take feed back of a head.....I have been a governor in 2 schools where the head was not removed despite plunging the school into a disastrous course of action.

9. No good ever came of teacher voice? Are you serious?

10. Laughing Gravy

Laughing Gravy New commenter

I once gave a confidential form out were teachers had to write, at least one good thing that they liked about me as the schools leader and what I should do to change or improve the school, I also asked the teachers to write at least one bad thing or things they felt I should change. Many put more than one thing down, usually on the second part of the form. You really have to have 'think skin' but it does also give you valuable information. As a example I really didn't realise that my facial expression, showed that of disappointment when someone was off from work and the lesson needed to be covered. I have since changed my expressions learning from that. there are many more.

I did gets lots of advice on the way the school direction, should go. Many points were not valid, achievable or relevant to the schools ethos. As the schools leader I went with what I felt was best but looked at the various points constructively. Obviously some were unachievable. I believe that if you get a few ideas from the teachers that are worthy, it is worth reading the criticisms and a valuable exercise. That was 8 years ago and maybe I will do another one soon. Remember if you do, you need to not take the criticisms or things that they believe to heart It doesn't mean the teacher is right just there perception or believe. I asked teachers to put the form in a suggestion box, somewhere I couldn't see it and I collected it, at the end of the week. They were all typed which I found unusual. It was explained in case I checked teachers personal handwriting against the form. As if I had the time to.

11. Thanks all. I'm meeting with staff over the next couple of weeks to go over the year and discuss the next. I think I'm going to hand over some kind of SWOT form to give back, which can be used as a basis for group discussion during INSET next September.

12. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Laughing Gravy - did your staff make any comment regarding your grammar, perchance?

13. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

Would think carefully about your timing Sunderland, if I asked my lovely staff now the answers would probably be Strengths - got through the year, Weaknesses - food and booze, Opportunities - daily once we've finally finished & Threats - the budget pushing up the price of wine! Just bought 30 for our staff tonight just in case lol. Obviously this could just be my school but we have pretty much exhausted sensible or constructive thought at this stage on the year! Good luck

14. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I've asked my staff to jot down a few things they'd like to change next year and put it in a drawer , so they don't forget, then we'll talk about it on the INSET day in September. Asking for considered thought and opinions at this time of the year is difficult for all concerned.

15. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I've been thinking about this thread for some time. If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing properly, so I'd suggest you don't do a DIY collection of feedback forms, but get an outsider in to do a formal appraisal instead. It'll cost, either in money or in favours begged, but it might be more revealing of your positive side!