1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

35 years on...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Dec 8, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

kibosh likes this.
  2. bluelemonade

bluelemonade Occasional commenter

Blimey, I thought I had nearly been on TES for 35 years, but then realised the internet wasn't around then. Its more like 19.

3. bluelemonade

bluelemonade Occasional commenter

Oh Brighton!

4. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

I love that song

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Isn't it the anniversary of his death today?

I shout all my obscenities from steeples
    But please don’t label me a madman
    I’m off to see the Bootleg Beatles
    As the bootleg Mark Chapman

He'd have liked it, as a fellow sarky scouser...

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indeed... hence my starting this thread... although I didn't make it very clear.

7. Scintillant

Good bit of Lennon towards the end. I was there somewhere...

aspensquiver, vannie and lanokia like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Na na na na na.

9. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I don't think there's a situation in life that can't be resolved by reference to HMHB :D

Scintillant likes this.
  10. vannie

vannie Star commenter

And Joy Division oven gloves

Scintillant likes this.
  11. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I was there too. 1996! Hell fire......

12. gameofdrones

gameofdrones Established commenter

John Lennon met the IRA and offered to sing at a fundraising concert for republicans after Bloody Sunday, according to a new book about the murdered Beatle out next month.
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/dec/10/northernireland.musicnews

JOHN Lennon's relatives were ``up in arms'' on learning the Beatle had given money to the IRA in New York, Stanley Parkes (67), his cousin, said yesterday.

His Aunt Mimi, who raised him in Liverpool, ``tore him off a strip'' in an angry transatlantic phone call, asking him ``What the heck do you think you are doing?'' Mr Parkes said he had no idea how she found out, ``but she hit the roof. Unfortunately, John was totally gullible and naive. He was always a soft touch at that time and gave away thousands to several groups''.

http://www.independent.ie/world-new...-when-funds-were-donated-to-ira-26125005.html

13. gameofdrones

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/john-lennons-dark-side-domestic-6481985

"I have to say that, from my point of view, I felt he was a hypocrite. Dad could talk about peace and love out loud to the world but he could never show it to the people who supposedly meant the most to him: his wife and son. How can you talk about peace and love and have a family in bits and pieces - no communication, adultery, divorce? You can't do it, not if you're being true and honest with yourself."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...-could-never-show-it-to-his-wife-and-son.html

14. gameofdrones

Here he is mocking people with Down's syndrome.

Nice.

15. Scintillant

Great tunes though

16. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Surely, this is more like forty five years on!

Sorry. I misunderstood. I thought you meant 35 years from John and Yoko's 'sleep in for peace', not John's shooting.

17. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I'd successfully avoided Lennon for many years until Dawkins and his troupe of lickspittles started touting the dirge Imagine as the anthem for nihilists.

18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I always thought he was smug, unpleasant and attention seeking.

aspensquiver and Vince_Ulam like this.
  19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I always preferred Macca.

(Oh Gawd, can't believe I wrote that.)

aspensquiver likes this.
  20. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Thirty five years, eh? Its been at least thirty years since I thought Lennon was anything other than an adulterous, nasty, gullible attention-seeker. He was in a great band, though, and he had a brilliant sense of humour (which, sadly, did not extend to himself or his ghastly second wife).

aspensquiver and Scintillant like this.