1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

35 employees commited suicide - bosses under legislation

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Happyregardless, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Just saw this link

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...-bosses-go-to-jail/ar-AAE6JAg?ocid=spartanntp

(TES will probably now remove this link but I don't know how else to do it but it refers to the employees who committed suicide because (allegedly) bosses harassed them - "Today the former top executives of France Télécom — once the national phone company, and now one of the nation’s biggest private enterprises, Orange — are on trial for “moral harassment.” It is the first time that French bosses, caught in the vise of France’s strict labor protections, have been prosecuted for systemic harassment that led to worker deaths."

reminded me of workplace bullying in teaching. wondered what would happen if same questions were applied etc in education?

thekillers1 and Cooperuk like this.
  2. blue451

blue451 Established commenter

The treatment outlined in that article is strikingly similar to that we see on Workplace Dilemmas here and I would love to think some charges will stick.

I couldn't see in a quick skim of that though if this case is being brought under French or European Law. I'd like to think there could be precedent set here.

Cooperuk and afterdark like this.
  3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I’d like to think if anyone is feeling suicidal and reading this, things DO improve. (Read the sticky thread in Teacher Helpline etc.) even if it feels impossible at the time. I once literally bought disposable barbecues in January some years ago intending to bump myself off through carbon monoxide poisoning. I didn’t and glad I didn’t.
    Suicide is shockingly common. I know 2 colleagues that committed suicide at a small firm at a summer job I went to at uni (not related to the workplace.)
    If a teacher did commit suicide and word got out, it would be a poor example to the kids.

4. afterdark

afterdark Senior commenter

That is privatisation for you. The business model doing what it does best, acting like emotionless psychopaths.

We could do with some court cases like this in the UK. How many teachers have left because of work related stress?

Cooperuk likes this.
  5. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

This is what happens when your primary focus in making a profit.

Teaching is the same, except schools are petrified of making a loss.

Balancing the books has become more important than a quality education or the wellbeing of staff. No wonder so many more students are stressed these days, they are brought up in such a high stress environment!

u022962 and Cooperuk like this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Where can you buy disposable BBQs in January? (Australia I suppose)