1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

33 period week

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by WonkoTheSane, Nov 20, 2007.

1. I'm interested in people's views on this topic.

Our school have recently begun a consultation process on moving to a 33 period week. This would involve having 7 periods three days of the week and 6 on the other days. The rationale behind this idea is that it will a) free up spare minutes making more teachers eligible for please takes, thereby saving the school money from the supply budget; b) allow compulsary PE to be re-introduced in S5/6; c) allow more contacts with Maths and English in S1/2 (at the expense of contacts in other subjects).

There is opposition to this idea in my department at least, mostly I think because this 'consultation' is looking more and more like a fait accompli.

I know that East Ren for one work from this model so if there's anyone out there with some first hand knowledge of how it works I'd love to hear from you. What is the benefit to the pupils? Or is the major benefit in slashing the school's supply costs?

2. I'm interested in people's views on this topic.

Our school have recently begun a consultation process on moving to a 33 period week. This would involve having 7 periods three days of the week and 6 on the other days. The rationale behind this idea is that it will a) free up spare minutes making more teachers eligible for please takes, thereby saving the school money from the supply budget; b) allow compulsary PE to be re-introduced in S5/6; c) allow more contacts with Maths and English in S1/2 (at the expense of contacts in other subjects).

There is opposition to this idea in my department at least, mostly I think because this 'consultation' is looking more and more like a fait accompli.

I know that East Ren for one work from this model so if there's anyone out there with some first hand knowledge of how it works I'd love to hear from you. What is the benefit to the pupils? Or is the major benefit in slashing the school's supply costs?

3. Consultation does't exist.

Many schools are moving towards this and it is all due to us having 30 mins a week over what was agreed with McCrone (non contact).

I think every school will eventually end up with 33 periods.

Good things are all meetings are done in school time and you get an early Friday.

4. Have been working under this model for a year now. 6 periods per subject in the upper school, the other three to RE, PE and PSE.
    Lower school maths and English 4/5 times per week with other three.
    I thinkk it works well. No complaints over an early finish Wed/Fri.
    Ithink it was implemented for various reasons- time for PE, teacher class contact time etc.
    Even though no formal consultation as such I think most people happy with it

5. So how many contact periods max will a teacher get inc any form classs ?

Coz you will still hit the national agreement.

Nick

6. I'm a probationer in East Ren. We do 19 or 20 periods, while the permanent teachers do 24. We don't have registration, but start period 1 at 8.45.

I've got no complaints about finishing at 2.45 twice a week, but on seven-period days, three periods in a row without a break is quite a slog for both pupils and teachers.

Alison

7. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TEACHERS ARE HAPPY ABOUT?
    DO THEY HAVE MORE PREPARATION/CORRECTION TIME?
    DO THEY HAVE AN EXTRA CLASS TO TEACH THAT DOESN'T REQUIRE ANY EXTRA PREPARATION?
    DO THEY HAVE MORE CONTROL OF THEIR AVAILABLE NON CONTACT TIME?
    DO THEY FEEL THAT THEIR PUPILS ARE DOING MUCH BETTER?
    DO THEY HAVE LESS DISCIPLINE PROBLEMS?
    DO THEY FEEL LESS TIRED AT THE END OF THE DAY?
    DO THEY HAVE ANY ENERGY LEFT TO REFLECT ON WHY THEY WANTED TO BECOME A TEACHER IN THE FIRST PLACE?
    WOULD APPRECIATE AN ANSWER. TA MUCH

8. We do it already...I see no benefit at all to be honest...

9. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

The primary driver of this is not to provide more supply cover but to have existing teachers working 22.5 hours class contact time. In my local authority the main consequence of this was that the number of teachers with permanent positions have fallen markedly and where pointages are taken by teachers with a temporary contract with the pointage varying up and down from one session to another.

10. There are very few, if any advantages, but many disadvantages. Lunchtime on Monday and Tuesday doesn't arrive until 1.20. Mine is an English department, so we get S2 and S4 every day of the week- there's a certain remorselessness to it. And on Friday, you find yourself in the pub after work at 3.15, which is TOO EARLY.

11. Haha :) Yeah - early finish Monday and Friday, plus we have these crazy 3 period blocks for a single class during the week - total madness. The kids have the attention span of a dead duck at the best of times. Just how they are supposed to get through 3 hours is beyond me.

12. Our school also had 'consultation' but it was just for show - we had no choice in the matter. Both pupils and staff are wilting by lunchtime and the day has a relentless quality to it, teaching for 7 periods in a row is a killer.

13. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

You will never get meaningful consultations in Scottish Education while the 'Stalinist State mentality' rules. The 33 period week (50 min periods) was pushed in at least one region some time age amid allegations of bullying. Fortunately it was dropped. Are the same egotistical individuals behind this again? For the sake of a few minutes a week, teaching and learning will become a thoroughly unpleasant experience for teachers and pupils. Resist.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

There appears to be many of these within education: ACfE for example.
    Are they though? Across the board? I don't know for sure, that's why I'm asking.
    I did 27, not 24. I thought 27 out of 33 made you on 'minimum time' i.e no please takes. many staff in the school were on minimum time, ie. they had 27 contact out of 33.
    That was my understanding.
    If you are unlucky enough to have a timetable like this, where you have 7 period contact days, it <u>is</u> a killer!
    It really seems that way.

15. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

When you get a long weekend - you don't miss out on your seven period days! Thankfully my authority wasn't quite so mean.
    For guidance staff there is no registration - a nightmare - and no way of getting information out to pupils.
    3 extra periods to prepare for a week - maximum class contact is now 27 periods.
    Honestly the whole system is garbage. Talk of "greater curriculum flexibility" is
    all mince - its so the council can get their hands on the 20 odd minutes
    for teaching, that a 30 period week doesn't allow. Our school was told to lose 4 staff when it was implemented - and the roll hadn't gone down - its merely a cost cutting exercise.

16. Isn't that what the contract says?

17. Whence comes this mentality, anyway? Was it ever thus, or is it something that's come in since devolution, or since Thatcher, or since when?

18. 27 periods is the max contact time in East Ren, from personal experience.

19. Maybe but it's impossible with the mix of 50/55 min 30 period week.

20. I believe that Scottish Borders have one of their secondaries piloting a 33 period week and that, even after 5 months, it looks like the planned roll out to other secondaries has been halted due to unworkable issues.