1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

31 Weeks Pregnant... Struggling!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by PE_Factory, Jan 21, 2019.

1. PE_Factory

PE_Factory New commenter

I am 31 Weeks pregnant and teach PE.
    I'm really starting to struggle! I've only got 4 working weeks after this one left, but I'm finding it difficult to see the end!
    I'm so worried about being seen as weak and feel like there's such pressure to be blooming during pregnancy and to be seen to be having an easy pregnancy.... But quite frankly, I'm finding work whilst being pregnant extremely difficult!
    Any words of wisdom/encouragement would be much appreciated!

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

"
    Sickness absence
    Sickness absence during your pregnancy, whether connected with
    your pregnancy or not, should be treated as ordinary absence on
    sick leave.
    However, if you take sick leave for pregnancy-related reasons in
    the last four weeks before the expected week of childbirth, your
    employer can require you to start your maternity leave early."

See your GP. Have you already specified the start date of your Maternity Leave? If not, you could be put on ordinary sick leave by your GP and it would transfer to Maternity Leave when you are 36 weeks' pregnant.

Do not struggle on. It's not good for you or the baby. Believe me, you do not want a premature birth if you can avoid it. My daughter was born at 27 weeks' gestation!

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Blooming? Yeah, if you've got maids and so on and no job. I guess so.

I don't remember being blooming so much as waddling around like a big fattie. Which is what I was. OK, I was both. A blooming fattie.

Could adjustments be made to allow you to carry on? Half days?

You are not a global representative for "Strong Women Sail Through Pregnancy Like Effortless Swans". You are an individual with needs.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

https://www.gov.uk/working-when-pregnant-your-rights
    Talk to your doctor/midwife, then talk to the head. If your work is becoming a risk, it looks like your school might have to offer adjustments (eg some lessons off) or alternative work (eg if you would be able to cope with covering classroom lessons, perhaps you could do that while a cover supervisor/supply covers yours). Otherwise you may have to be signed off.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I think it's especially relevant that you are a PE teacher and likely to be on your feet at work more than most of your colleagues. What adaptations could be made at work?

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

A colleague is 33 weeks gone. She works 2 days a week as a social worker. We go into schools.

She waddles in. Toilet first though. We do our thing for 50 minutes. Toilet again. She's suddenly massive. In the last week. Her back aches the whole time. But it's 2 days a week and she isn't a PE teacher.

I'm all for women staying active. Absolutely. But you're a teacher! Which is knackering anyway.

Give yourself a break, woman! School will have to work round YOU - not the other way round.

7. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

"Blooming" is a word made up by men who have never been pregnant themselves, to pressurise women into looking attractive even when they feel like a horse just trampled them....

I had two horrendous pregnancies in terms of sickness, illness, fatigue, pain etc..

At the end of the day, you could ask your school to make some adjustments to make your last 4 weeks easier OR you might have to consider getting signed off if it is that bad. Adjustments I got were things like:

No break / lunch duty
    Leaving early on the days I didn't teach period 5
    Coming in late on the days I didn't teach Period 1

And towards the end they even let me 'work from home' for a week doing the marking and moderation of all the coursework because there was no one else in the school qualified to do it! lol!

8. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You need to talk to the school.

You cannot struggle on.

Never been pregnant, but I've seen enough colleagues struggle on despite being sick, exhausted, and in the case of one, so large she couldn't even get up stairs easily.

Your and the baby's health are paramount. Talk to school and GP.

mothergoose2013 and agathamorse like this.
  9. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

I had to swap with another teacher as I couldn't do pe towards the end of pregnancy. I also wasn't allowed to teach swimming once school knew I was pregnant. I'm an sen teacher currently enjoying maternity leave. You need to look after yourself. The last part of pregnancy is very hard.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.