1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

31 in my Reception class after half term? Is this legal?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by louisea, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Hi all
    I currently have 30 kids in my EYFS class. My head told me this morning that a little girl has moved into the village and her house is in our catchment area. The other 2 primaries in our pyramid are also full. Even schools neighbouring our area are full. So she has to join my class.
    Apparantly there are 'special circumstances' that over rule the 30 maximum number and these are those special circumstances.
    Is this true? What if 3 more children have 'special circumstances?' and need to join the class. ( in know this is unlikely)
    If this is true and legal then 1 more makes no difference really. I was just always under the impression that 30 was the max for FS/KS1?
    Lou

2. Hi all
    I currently have 30 kids in my EYFS class. My head told me this morning that a little girl has moved into the village and her house is in our catchment area. The other 2 primaries in our pyramid are also full. Even schools neighbouring our area are full. So she has to join my class.
    Apparantly there are 'special circumstances' that over rule the 30 maximum number and these are those special circumstances.
    Is this true? What if 3 more children have 'special circumstances?' and need to join the class. ( in know this is unlikely)
    If this is true and legal then 1 more makes no difference really. I was just always under the impression that 30 was the max for FS/KS1?
    Lou

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Yes there are excepted circumstance where a child (or children) can be admitted over the 30 limit
    Excepted pupils
    In extremely limited circumstances, an infant class may have more than 30 pupils.
    Pupils may be admitted in unforeseen circumstances, e.g.
    • Where a child moves into an area outside the normal admissions round and there is no other school within a reasonable distance . - (I'm assuming this will be the circumstances for your new child and if so it is legal)

• Where a child receives a statement of special educational needs naming the school, outside the normal admissions round.
    • Where an extra place has to be offered because an error has been made in the admissions process that leads to a pupil being refused a place incorrectly.
    • Where an appeal panel decides that an admission authority has made an error which denied the child a place or has acted unreasonably in initially refusing to admit a pupil.
    Pupils admitted for the above reasons are classed as excepted pupils. The class may remain in excess of 30 pupils only for the remainder of the academic year. The following September the school will need to agree arrangements with the LEA to comply with the limit.

4. Msz

sorry potentially you could have 3 or more excepted children

5. hurny

hurny New commenter

Hi Lou,
    31 children in Reception is quite common place in my LEA. I had 31 children for the summer term last year.
    The law does state that infant classes must not exceed 30 children, so I'm not quite sure how LEAs are allowed to 'break the law'.

6. hurny

hurny New commenter

Typed at the same time as Msz, who has provided the answer!

7. Msz

The child/children only remain excepted pupils for the remainder of this school year ... next year an additional teacher will be needed if the numbers remain the same.

8. Thanks - that's all I needed to know! Don't know whether I should share the info with the Y1 teacher! [​IMG]

9. Msz

If you google Infant Class Size Prejudice you will be able to get all the details

10. Hi there - I have been researching this for some time as I've had 32 now 31 since the start - at times I have no TA either. Am I right that this is legal until next year?

11. Msz

and there are plans to increase infant class size limit to 32 so ....

12. Msz