1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

€ 31,300 Net in Spain ?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mrjack, Sep 18, 2019.

1. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

Is that a better salary for Spain or standard ?

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

it is by far the highest salary i have ever heard of in Spain as a starting salary. not standard at all...and are you sure its nett and not gross?

3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I'm guessing you're not a regular class teacher with 0 responsibility though.

In Spain that's a Headteacher salary

4. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

It's very very good.

5. dumbbells66

And pretty much below average for a classroom teacher in decent countries....plus you would get a lot included in a benefits package outside of Spain

6. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

Sorry it's gross and subject + year 4 mentor.

7. dumbbells66

using an online tax calculator that works out to under €2000 a month take home. while good for Spain, this is terrible for international schools, and especially since it has a responsibility position. remember it is more than likely you will not get any sort of package on top of this to cover your costs

8. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I was paid that quite a few years ago in a school on a well know party island in Spain. I only survived a year and at the time thought it was the most dishonest and badly run school I'd ever been at. Looking back though compared with most Spanish schools it was actually good. When in Spain you have to redefine your judgement on these places. If you are being paid, the students don't riot every day and the owner isn't a gangster you are doing well.

9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

So what's the net?

10. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

There are schools in Madrid which offer that much and more. Accommodation there is extremely expensive though and the money doesn't go as far as you'd think.

There's also a relatively new school in Catalunya which was offering over 30,000 to all teachers a few years ago when it opened, I don't know if it's still the case.

11. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Love Spain, never worked there.

For €30,000 gross is for both the lead in a subject AND a year 4 mentor (HoY)? Yikes....

A close friend of mine negotiated heavily with a school (in Spain) wanting to turn itself as an "international IB" school. With no responsibilities they got €32,000 + €400 monthly accom allow + the holiday loading deal Spain has. They own more than the HoSec.

Needless to say, they were instructed to keep the deal on the LD.

12. yasf

yasf Established commenter

To put this in context when I was working at a school in Europe as a classroom teacher in a country bordering the med, I was on over €50,000 net + €950 monthly accommodation allowance.

Prizes for anyone who can PM me the school or the country :)

13. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Maybe I could understand if it was June but who on earth accepts an offer like that in September?

Unless it's for an immediate start and then....alarm bells

yasf likes this.
  14. dumbbells66

plenty of lambs to the slaughter every year..... there are plenty of decent countries out there to work in, why slum it in Spain

yasf and T0nyGT like this.
  15. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Three sensible posts, then normal service resumed. :rolleyes:

tb9605, yasf and dumbbells66 like this.
  16. yasf

You can earn up to about €4000 pcm net as a new classroom teacher in western Europe if you're careful. Not in Spain though.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  17. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

And the living costs in such countries are probably going to make it feel like you earn a lot less than 4k

18. dumbbells66

But Spain is really not a cheap country. Especially when compared to a lot of eastern european countries. So the terrible pay you would get in Spain will feel a lot worse because of the higher cost.

19. yasf

I wasn't talking about Switzerland or London - but yes it would be a bit more expensive. About 19% higher than Spain according to numbeo.

Those I know in Switzerland tend to earn around €6000 to 8000 net per month, but you're quite right. That buys a surprisingly basic standard of living.

20. dumbbells66

I lived in an eastern european country and out of my, about $4000 a month tax free ( not starting salary) i was comfortably able to live very very well, travel a lot, and save 80% of my salary a month....i wonder how many people in Spain could do that....my guess.... NONE