1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

30th November strike

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mumof2scamps, Nov 25, 2011.

1. I am striking next Wednesday as is another colleague. I teach in a very small school with only 2 classes, which in theory means that both classes should be closed. My headteacher teaches in my class 2 days a week, though not on the day of the strike. My TA is a qualified teacher who usually covers for me if I'm ill or on courses. The head has decided to keep the school open (as she doesn't want to upset the parents I think) and my TA ( who is a member of the same union as me) is covering my class while the other class is being covered by an NQT who works part time and the Head. I understand that everyone has a right to their own opinion about next week but it just doesn't feel right that my class is being covered in this way. As far as I know no letter has gone out to the parents yet, and I'm guessing that one probably won't. Is anyone else in a similar situation?

2. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

When considering these matters, you should bear
    in mind that you will not be able to ask staff who are not involved in the
    strike to undertake work beyond their normal job description.
    This is the NUT's advice to employers - your TA should not be working as a teacher as it is not in her normal job description. I would have a word with your regional rep and ask him/her to remind your head of the legal position

3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Above from NUT is very similar to ATL:
    ATL will normally consider it unreasonable for you to be asked: to take over the work of colleagues engaged in industrial action, other than in exceptional circumstances (such as genuine emergency), to undertake a teaching load greater than usual or to accept additional responsibilities or duties as a result of colleagues taking industrial action, to agree to the amalgamation of groups of pupils or students or to the division of one group between others as a result of colleagues taking industrial action. The TA and NQT should also check with their unions - they should not be covering in your absence!

4. I am a hlta.Our school had 2 members of staff out today. Wednesday is an odd day as one teacher covers the morning session and a different one the afternoon. Usually when the morning teacher is on a course the afternoon teacher covers that session. I was asked last night to cover the whole of today, tomorrow and friday as the afternoon teacher was ill (she does Thursday and fri too) and the am teacher was out. As a different teacher was out on a course today i assumed the teacher I was covering was too (as I hadn't been told otherwise) at playtime today I asked the class ta which course the teacher was on and she told me that she was on strike.
    Had I have been told this last night when asked to cover i would have said no. When i approached the head about it she said that it was to cover the teacher who was ill as she would've covered otherwise (which i know to be untrue)
    She then played dumb on not realising that she shouldn't have asked me to cover. I feel she was very devious in the way she went about the whole thing.