1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

30% of Americans think they are intolerant to gluten apparently...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Nov 24, 2015.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

...and there are big business interests keen to exploit their anxieties.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

My niece suffers from coeliac disease so I'm not being dismissive of the problems caused for people with this condition, by the way.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My mother has decided that she is gluten intolerant. She has had all of the tests and is not a coeliac. It is a right pain to cater for!

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My next door neighbour is coeliac and the tiniest amount makes her very ill but I also knew someone like bombaysapphire's mother who insisted she was intolerant despite all evidence to the contrary. She still carried on eating cakes and pastries, though, while complaining about how ill she felt.

5. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

I think a number of people in the west think they are intolerant to foods. I also think it's the old adage 'if you are starving you are not intolerant to food.'

My mum had coeliac disease before it became a 'well-known' illness. It made her very very sick and took ages to diagnose. She used to cry every time she was sick (vomiting) because she thought she had the big 'C'. She already had a weak heart and died of heart problems, exacerbated by her lowered immune system.

When I hear (choose to read) of celebs and others who believe they can't tolerate gluten I want to give them a swift slap around the chops with a slice of stale, white sliced bread.