1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

30 minutes to answer

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Apr 20, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Yesterday I cooked a piece of gammon and intend to have some of the remainder for dinner this evening.
    I still have the stock it was cooked in, having taken the trouble to change the water part way through to remove a lot of the salt, after which I added onion carrot and celery.
    The veg was later added to a potato mash, some of which also remains.
    I have puff pastry in the fridge, eggs and spinach. Cheddar cheese as well.
    I could do something simple like ham egg and chips. I could use the stock to make a veg and ham soup. I could do something with the pastry, maybe some sort of vol-o-vent quice sort of thing and use the leftover mash to make potato cakes.
    Open to ideas. Her indoors has said any of my suggestions sound fine to her. I'm going to open a beer and see what inspiration I get from you good people before I decide what to do.

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Stock - definitely look to making soup.

Maybe mince some of the gammon, mix with mash and lots of parsley and make patties?
    You could go retro with a gammon hawaii...just add a ring of tinned pineapple

And I would be saving a nice piece for a gammon and mustard sandwich tomorrow.

3. Sort of a bubble and squeak/gammon and mash hash with fried or poached eggs on top?

4. modelmaker

Don't have any tinned pineapple, but I've just remembered we have a pack of dried apricots and another of dates. Maybe I could do something with these?

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Absolutely...pork works with apricot stuffing, so gammon should work with apricots too!
    Maybe add some breadcrumbs to finely chopped apricots, oh and what about some finely chopped nuts?...walnuts...thinking on my feet here!...and roll some gammon slices round this ...you might have to tie it?

6. Defo use the apricots. I love scratch meals like these, like Boxing Day lunch always nicer than the main meal.

7. modelmaker

Starting to get some ideas. I have walnuts as well. Maybe I could make a ham Wellington sort of thing. How about I make a make a chutney type thing from the apricots dates and walnuts, a little chilli and onion to spead over the ham then wrap it in pastry?

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Delicious!

9. modelmaker

Sorted then. This is what I shall do. If she doesn't like it I have someone else to blame. Thanks.

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I couldn't eat anything more than 2 small slices of gammon followed by a yoghurt tonight. It hurts to open my mouth and to chew!!

11. modelmaker

Sorry to hear that lapin. How has the treatment been going so far? I can't imagine anything worse than a good cook unable to eat.

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

spasmodic, I'm on Tergetol which helps but as I'm back at work now, teaching doesn't!! It is horrible and as I'm on a mainly liquid diet, white wine, red wine, G&T, I'm not losing weight!!