1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

30 minute lesson observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rathodn, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hi I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice.
    I have an lesson observation in a year 3 class for an interview. I was thinking of teaching a lesson in numeracy on bar charts and tally chart. The plan would be differentiated for the children and the lesson objective is for the children to conduct a tally chart and use the results to make a bar chart and to answer the questions.
    I was thinking the children could conduct their tally chart on different flavour of crisps and then get a child to come up to count and record the tally on the IWB so everyone can copy it down ans so forth. Then the children are to make their bar chart, colour their bars in diff colours and answer questions like for example: which flavour is the most popular?
    What do you think? Any feedback would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Hi I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice.
    I have an lesson observation in a year 3 class for an interview. I was thinking of teaching a lesson in numeracy on bar charts and tally chart. The plan would be differentiated for the children and the lesson objective is for the children to conduct a tally chart and use the results to make a bar chart and to answer the questions.
    I was thinking the children could conduct their tally chart on different flavour of crisps and then get a child to come up to count and record the tally on the IWB so everyone can copy it down ans so forth. Then the children are to make their bar chart, colour their bars in diff colours and answer questions like for example: which flavour is the most popular?
    What do you think? Any feedback would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

3. All of that with year 3 in a 30 minute lesson?!! [​IMG]
    Your lesson objective isn't clear enough.

4. I'd definitely echo this, pff.
    I did this recently with year 3, using results we'd previously collected from a survey on a different topic, and we needed the full lesson. Not all children completed their bar charts in time to even start the questions.

5. Colouring the bar charts in a lesson obs is a big no no!!! Also the topic does not really inspire.
    I would let the children do a using and applying task. perhaps with money.
    L/0- to use and apply our addition skills
    Success Criteria-
    I can count up in multiples of 10 and 20.
    I can try to work out a problem by playing with numbers. I can keep going until I have worked out all the answers Starter-
    count up in 10s to 100, then count up from 60 in 10s, count in 20s as class, count back.
    Main Teaching-
    Have coins on the board and the children could add these up. Have a 2 pound coin, 1 pound coin, 50p, 20p,10p. (Explain if necessary to avoid getting into decimals - 2 pound coin= 200, 1 pound coin= 100)00

ask the question i have three 20p coins and one 10p coin, how much do i have?
    20 + 20 + 20 + 10= 70p
    Have play money on tables as resource to use
    then have differentaited questions on IWB,
    L.A- three 10ps is how much ETC
    M.A- one 50p, two 20p, one 10p- how much?
    H.A- two $1 coins, two 50p coins, one 20p coin- how much do i have?
    children to write number sentence= 100 +100= 200
    50 + 50 +20= 120= 320
    children swap whitebaords to peer assess.
    Activity- Using and applying task
    L.A- how many different ways can you make one pound using only 50p , 20p, 10ps? (allow plenty of these coins as prompts)
    M.A- how many different ways can you make one pound using only 50p, 20p, 10p and 5p and you have to use at least three of them in every way (coins as prompts if necessary)
    H.A- How many different ways can you make up £2 using fewer than seven £1, 50p, 20p and 10p coins?
    Plenary
    L.A- in pairs- have the problem I buy a mars and it costs 20p ad pay with £1. How many different ways could you get your change using fewer than 4 coins, 50p, 20p, 10p
    H.A- buys two cartons of orange juice costing 60p each and pays with two £1 coins. He receives four silver coins in change. What could they be?

I was planning a lesson with a year 3 class i will be teaching next week in school. I am covering for a teacher that day (my management time, normally in year 6, so i will let you have this lesson)
    Hope it helps.

6. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

A generous and detailed post. M

7. Incredibly generous!!
    I would expect year 1 children to be colouring/making graphs. Not year 3.
    In year 3 I would be expecting them to use and apply the data.

8. Thank you for your help. I have now found out that the lesson is to be cut into 20 mins which is a pain.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't be keen to see any children of any age colouring in a graph. There is no mathematical learning going on while they do so.

I would maybe show them a tally chart and several bar charts. Get them to discuss which is the correct one and how they know.

Then give them a tally chart and get them to draw a bar chart. I would also give them the axes, marked and numbered/labelled ready to use. All they need to do is draw in the bars correctly.

Finish by asking questions about most popular and all that.