1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

30 minute interview lesson

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by petrapan, Mar 27, 2011.

1. I'm not asking for advice on the actual lesson content [​IMG]. Just some housekeeping questions really as this is my very first interview (I'm an NQT).
    1) Will I be given time to set up in the classroom, or just taken in to the room with the children already there? (I realise this may differ so am interested in people's experiences).
    2) Is it normal procedure to break the 30 minutes down like a normal lesson, eg. 10 min intro, 15 min independent activities, 5 min plenary?
    3) As far as differentiation goes, the activity I have planned is the sort of activity that I'd expect all children to be capable of- but some will produce better 'results' than others or complete more work. I don't want it to come across as if my idea of differentiation is just "oh you can do 5 and you can do 3", though (it isn't!) but I feel that having different activities would just complicate things in such a short lesson. Would be interested in views on this.
    4) Should I indicate on the lesson plan how I would extend activities if this was an hour-long lesson, or just have a plan for my 30 minute lesson?

Many thanks.

2. I'm not asking for advice on the actual lesson content [​IMG]. Just some housekeeping questions really as this is my very first interview (I'm an NQT).
    1) Will I be given time to set up in the classroom, or just taken in to the room with the children already there? (I realise this may differ so am interested in people's experiences).
    2) Is it normal procedure to break the 30 minutes down like a normal lesson, eg. 10 min intro, 15 min independent activities, 5 min plenary?
    3) As far as differentiation goes, the activity I have planned is the sort of activity that I'd expect all children to be capable of- but some will produce better 'results' than others or complete more work. I don't want it to come across as if my idea of differentiation is just "oh you can do 5 and you can do 3", though (it isn't!) but I feel that having different activities would just complicate things in such a short lesson. Would be interested in views on this.
    4) Should I indicate on the lesson plan how I would extend activities if this was an hour-long lesson, or just have a plan for my 30 minute lesson?

Many thanks.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

1) Generally I don't think one has much time to set up the room ahead unless it is for just after break/lunch as classes will be in there.
    2) Yes break it down into clear parts & ensure you demonstrate the children making progress.
    3) Mrs ELJones idea for differentiation is good especially the SEN.
    4) Yes, definitely. Also include how you'd use TAs/ LSAs etc should you have one & provide a copy of your lesson plan for them as well as any observers.
    Best of luck to all!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

1) Sometimes I have and sometimes not. If you especially want to then contact the school as soon as you can and say that you need some time. Then they will probably timetable your lesson so that you are just after assembly or break.

2) Yes definitely.

3) This is a tricky one. If all children are capable of the activity then it might be too easy for the brightest and best. However, so long as your plan shows you have clearly thought through the differentiation, it is fine.

4) Yes definitely. And also how it would fit into a unit of work. What you would do next and move learning on and all that jazz.

Best of Luck.

5. Congrats on getting an interview!!
    I'm an NQT and had a similar situation a few weeks ago teaching y2 for 35min.
    1) I was first to teach but observation wasn't due to start til 9.10am so obviously kids were in class waiting. School had asked me to email anything I'd need for whiteboard so that was all ready and waiting for me. I quickly put differentiated resources for independent activity onto each table before I started to save time later and meant children could get straight on with it later on.
    2) I was asked to teach numeracy but was told they wouldn't need a mental/oral starter but a plenary would be needed. I spent 5mins on intro (testing to see where children were upto ability wise), 10mins on main input, 15 mins for independent work then 5mins for plenary.
    3) I was given children's ability groups before hand so was able to differentiate according to them but it wasn't much as there was hardly anytime for children to do their task. I set each group 3 different questions that were worded the same as the ones we looked at during the input and majority of them only answered 2 out of the 3 questions.
    4) I just wrote on my plan how my lesson could be extended if it was a full lesson.
    Hope that this helps! The time will flyby so just keep one eye on the clock. Be yourself and try not to fret about behaviour, the class I taught had been threatened with missing playtime so it was just a case of me reminding them not to shout out and not to speak over me. I got the job so must have done something right!
    GOOD LUCK!!!x

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Congratulations helenchad.
    If you go post 'Dear Theo I got the job', you'll even get a shiny star.

7. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I'm doing my NQT this year - in secondary - but thought I might offer some advice. With regards to pupil ability I always asked the school beforehand if they could give me an idea of levels the pupils were working at so I could pitch it right. In the job I got I wrote 2 lesson plans: one for the 30 minute lesson and one for a full hour lesson. In my interview I gave the people who hadn't seen me copies of both lesson plans so they could see how my lesson 'performance' could fit into a SoW and to a larger context.

Good luck!

8. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Just to update that I had my interview today and can now give you an answer to question 1: I was given 5 minutes to set up and brief the TA before the children came in.

9. Thanks for that, I've bought it from amazon [​IMG]. I've had three messages from headteachers (I'm in a pool system too) so I have perked up a bit now.