1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

30 literacy lesson, i am struggling to differentiate (as it is observation lesson)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TheInvinciblePixie, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Hi everyone!

I have an observation lesson this week (on anything I chose) for 30 minutes in year 2.

I have chosen for the children to make their own poems based on this poem.

However, I have only a few weeks experience in year 2 and I am struggling to differertiate.
    I was thinking maybe with the lower ability give them a word bank or something to help them write 2 verses. And then higher ability would work independently but I'm not sure how i would differtiate for middle. But essentially I am differtiating by support, rather than outcome.
    Btw I know I sound very vague, this is because I know that asking for exact ideas off people for interview lessons should be your own, and others can copy etc. I am using a differerent name on here in case anyone who is interviewing me sees!
    Thankyou for any help!

2. What is your LO going to be?
    (btw it's differentiate not differtiate)

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

agree with you. I hope that nobody who is going to see this interviews you. Not only does your post make you seem to be desperately short of ideas but your it does not make much sense at all. Presumably your application was better phrased or you wouldn't be going to an interview?
    What is "this poem" you refer to as though you have included it within your post?
    I hope you have more luck planning between now and then. It would be useful for people on here to understand what the purpose and objectives are of the lesson you are planning to teach if you want some constructive ideas.
    Good luck.

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Sorry I have competed with a message that makes little sense either!!

5. Sorry, I do agree with you guys, and I know I sound abit confused, probably because I am! And I know my message came off with someone who doesn't have a clue and you could be righ?
    I can spell differentiate, unfortunately I wrote that message so quickly that it made little to no sense, so again sorry for that!
    I know my learning objective, to

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable

write own poems as a way of exploring language use, however, as I have now chosen for children to write together in mixed pairs, how is it possible to differentiate as I don't know the ability of the children. But how can I show that I understand the use of differentiation?
    So each childwill be in a pair and that pair have a short poem at the end, but I won't be differentiating as they are in mixed pair, but is there a way I can show that I can differentiate? (also I haven't been told their abilities so I am hoping that I end up putting different abilities together!)
    Any help/advice is really welcome! Thankyou

6. (Repost as it all seems to of got muddled) Let me try again....
    Sorry, I do agree with you guys, and I know I sound abit confused,
    probably because I am! And I know my message came off with someone who
    doesn't have a clue and you could be righ?
    I can spell
    differentiate, unfortunately I wrote that message so quickly that it
    made little to no sense, so again sorry for that!
    I know my learning objective, to write own poems as a way of exploring language use, however, as I have now chosen for children to write together in mixed
    pairs, how is it possible to differentiate as I don't know the ability
    of the children. But how can I show that I understand the use of
    differentiation?
    So each childwill be in a pair and that pair have
    a short poem at the end, but I won't be differentiating as they are in
    mixed pair, but is there a way I can show that I can differentiate?
    (also I haven't been told their abilities so I am hoping that I end up
    putting different abilities together!)
    Any help/advice is really welcome! Thankyou

7. You should contact the school to find out the abilities of the children and get some background information.

8. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I agree with the last post - the most important thing they are looking for is your interaction with the children. Don't try to show everything you have learnt about teaching and education in one 30min session (or by writing pages of planning to give the observers). Instead, think about the questions you will ask the children, how you are going to support the children who have 'no ideas' (working in pairs won't avoid this - they tend to pair up with another child who doesn't have ideas either!) and what the children should be able to do by the end of the session.
    As for differentiation, I've approached this two ways in interview observation. One time I used Must / Should / Could to show my expectations and let the children choose their level. Another time I provided differentiated resources and asked the children to choose the level of activity they thought would be best for them. Of course some chose the wrong level, but this prompted interesting discussions, especially with those who chose work which was too easy. Both times I got the job, so it must have been OK!
    My main tip would be to focus on the children. The only way I get through interview observations is by getting to know the pupils and giving them my full attention (and trying to block out those strange adults looking at me from the back!).
    Don't let yourself get overwhelmed by what could go wrong - Good luck!