1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

30 day sickness rule and completing induction in different schools

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by rabbit6, Jan 3, 2011.

1. <font size="3">Hi there</font><font size="3">I completed 2 and a half terms of my NQT year after I qualified. The first term went fine and I was assessed as likely to meet the standards. The second term started ok but then a new deputy head became very involved in my induction. He seemed to take a real dislike to me and ended up &ldquo;failing&rdquo; me for that term. </font> <font face="Times New Roman">I started the third term but it quickly went from bad to worse. This new deputy made my life hell, giving me new targets to meet on an almost daily basis. One week I would be told I would pass then the next that I wouldn&rsquo;t. Every time I was assessed as passing a standard a new one would be added. This new deputy seemed to using me to prove some sort of point. </font> <font face="Times New Roman">As a result of the stress this situation put me in I went off sick at the half term of the final third term before the school could assess me as having either passed or failed my induction year. Over the summer I decided not to go back to that school as I did not feel I could trust them to be fair. </font> <font face="Times New Roman">I now have a new post for this coming term and the new school is happy to put me through the rest of the induction year. The question is do I have to do a whole term or just the half term that I missed? Much of what I have read says that you can not do less than a term, but other guidance seems to imply that if you did not complete due to sickness you only have to complete the amount of days you missed? &ndash; also is it different if you leave one school after the sickness and go to another school?</font> <font face="Times New Roman">If anyone knows the answer to this I would be really grateful. I have asked lots of different people including union reps and induction tutors and no one seems to know - Thanks </font>

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Well hope it work out for the best. Let us know how you get on! [​IMG] x

3. Hi
    It is likely that you will have to complete a full term that protects you from being observed in one half term - the lesson not going well and the cycle of no making satisfactory progress kicking in again. You need time to get used to the school and they need time to assess you. The LA will decide on what time you should complete.
    James