1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

30 day de-clutter challenge

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Motherofchikkins, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

The idea is that you throw out one thing on day one, two on day two, three on day three etc…….and it adds up to 465 less items in your home.

There are various internet links like:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyl...-to-throw-out-465-possessions-in-a-month.html

Anyone care to join me?! I've already started today, so my Day One was - old teaching resources, lots and lots and lots of them, but counting them collectively as 'one'

Incidentally, If you're not interested, but suffer from insomnia, I can guarantee that actually checking if 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5… all the way up to 30 in your head at 2 am, is better than counting sheep. Haven't slept so well in ages! :)

guinnesspuss, marlin, Sillow and 4 others like this.
  2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

465 fewer items of clutter in our house would barely scratch the surface - if only it was that simple.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I love that kind of arithmetic.

I'm a sucker for Fibonacci.

And I'll consider doing the challenge. I certainly SHOULD.

Motherofchikkins likes this.
  4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I de-clutter on a regular basis so I doubt whether I could find even half a dozen items that I need to get rid of. My criteria are: Do I use it? Do I need it? Does it give me pleasure? If it meets none of the criteria then it goes. I struggle to understand hoarding.

needabreak, aspensquiver and InkyP like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

I don't do it deliberately. I'm just lazy.

Sillow likes this.
  6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I left all my teaching resources behind when I left. I could clear a load of stuff off my computer though.

7. grumpydogwoman

Oh, @InkyP. Now that's a good idea.

8. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Totally agree.

9. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Will be doing this daily! stacks of teaching resources in my living room/under the cupboards etc. Will start de-cluttering.

10. bluelemonade

bluelemonade Occasional commenter

Yea, for sure. start with the husband and work your way through. I am down to a few garments which I can't tell if I want to get rid of, but as they are on the floor, it tells me all I need to know.

kibosh likes this.
  11. T34

T34 Lead commenter

Sounds like a big chore towards the end of the month.
    I prefer to have the rule "one thing in, two things out". Nothing comes in to the house without two other things being thrown out.

kibosh and Nuuk like this.
  12. Motherofchikkins

Oh I like that idea! Maybe I'll try that when I've decluttered a bit more. I"m not actually a hoarder, but OH is. I'm trying to lead by example :D

Thanks everyone else for replies.

Today I threw out a pair of boots and a pair of shoes. I need to work out what to get rid of on what days, depending on what days I can get stuff to the charity shops.

Three things for the bin tomorrow…. :)

13. Motherofchikkins

I think there's a 30 day minimalist challenge - and that's one of the things on it! i'm fairly up to date with getting stuff off my computer and back up regularly. The odd teaching resource still appears in odd places tho'!

14. Nuuk

Nuuk Occasional commenter

Excellent idea, I am going to have a go, although might have to count clearing emails some days. But what I really need is advice on what to do if living with a hoarder!

kibosh likes this.
  15. Motherofchikkins

My sister lives with a terrible hoarder. She 'tidies' and 'reorganises' then 'forgets' where she's put things - a euphemism for taking things to the local council tip when her husband wasn't home! Not that I'm personally advocating that……. ;)

kibosh and Nuuk like this.
  16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What is it that drives people to hoard stuff?

17. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Both my father and mother-in-law hoarded all sorts of 'useful' stuff and were the same age. I think that growing up in WWII had a lot to do with it; everything had a potential use and shouldn't be thrown away.
    My father was a cabinetmaker and collected wood, two sheds full plus his workshop.

18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Wartime frugality and saving wood if you are a cabinetmaker is one thing. There is a whole other league of hoarding though where people keep stuff that will never be of the slightest use to them and actually impedes their life.

kibosh likes this.
  19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

We decluttered big time at the beginning of term as we were reorganising rooms, new carpet, curtains etc.
    Brilliant!

20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I learned my lesson when we moved after 20 years in the same house. Boxes came out of the loft that had not seen the light of day since they were put there on moving day. They had the packing firm logo all over them.

The largest skip appeared soon after and they were all binned. I had a mahoosive wardrobe clear out too.

I find that once you actually start, it becomes much easier to throw things and you can get quite gung ho about decluttering. The last time I did was Monday, when I put out a charity clothes bag.

Mr F tends to hoard stuff and is very untidy, so it's a constant battle and I do 'lose' things and deny knowledge of ever seeing them.