1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

£30,000 to train as a teacher?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Noja, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

According to the Telegraph, tax free bursaries will be given to train teachers in ebacc subjects of up to £30,000... Does this mean they will then have to take a serious pay cut to get an nqt job? Can't see many schools paying the extra, lots of schools are desperately short of money, and I have never been convinced that the best teachers are the most academic ones anyway. Thoughts?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I can't see this as I am over my quota in Telegraph viewings - how will it work? Anyone wanting to train for (say) history will get this cash?

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Delete your browsing history (e.g. cookies) and you'll find you are back to 25 again...;)

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

This is it:-

Top graduates are being offered tax-free bursaries of up to £30,000 to train to teach key academic subjects, such as maths and physics, Nick Gibb, the schools minister, announced today.

The sum represents an increase of £5,000 from last year for first-class physics graduates, who can now expect to be rewarded a £30,000 incentive for teaching the subject.

There were also increased bursaries announced of up to £25,000 in otherEnglish Baccalaureate (EBacc) subjects including maths, biology, chemistry, computing, languages and geography.

More than 16,500 trainees currently receive a training bursary every year.

The increase follows the announcement of controversial plans to make every pupil study the Ebacc subjects at GCSE.

Nicky Morgan, the Education Secretary, recently confirmed that all pupils will be expected to take GCSEs in English, maths, science, geography or history, and a language by 2020.

While the plans will be subject to Government consultation later this autumn, education professionals have voiced their concerns saying that focus on academic subjects could "restrict the time available for creative and technical subjects".

[​IMG]All pupils will be expected to take GCSEs in EBacc subjects Photo: ALAMY

Sir Michael Wilshaw, the head of Ofsted, also challenged the plans, saying the Government would received a "robust" response from Ofsted if consulted.

Speaking today, Nick Gibb said that today's announcement was "part of the Government’s commitment to real social justice".

"We want every child to study the core academic subjects that will provide the best preparation for later life," he said.

"Teaching now attracts more top graduates than ever before. To ensure we can continue to attract the best and brightest graduates into the profession, with the potential to be excellent teachers in these key subjects, we are continuing to offer a wide range of bursaries and scholarships.

These new financial incentives will give more talented people the opportunity to become teachers so they can inspire even more young people to achieve their full potential."

As part of the plans, £30,000 will be awarded tax-free to graduates with a first class degree to train to teach physics. Trainees in physics with a 2:1 will continue to receive a £25,000 bursary, and trainees with a 2:2 will also now receive £25,000, up from £15,000 last year.

lanokia likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Conditions? What if you bail out after a year?

midnight_angel likes this.
  6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The most ineffective teacher I saw had a PhD in physics.

yodaami2 likes this.
  7. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Since when does being good at an academic subject make you any damn good at teaching it to the (50%) unwilling? And since when did being rubbish at any really academic subject make you not hate school even more?
    PLEASE. One size does not fit all, and making it fit even fewer kids is not the way forward.

inky, TCSC47, Dragonlady30 and 4 others like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So now the bribe to get into this increasingly jokey profession [still tittering... oh wait, street sweepers are more professional] is 30 grand?

Yeah no supply problem, everything good, look the other way, teaching isn't a joke job.

9. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

At the time I did my A-levels (1975) you needed two Es at A-level to get onto a teacher training course. That was what "graduate profession" involved. Now I grant you that two Es at A-level then is probably the equivalent of two Es at GCSE now, but rigorous, frequent teaching practices with regular bootings off the course meant that you had to really really want to be a teacher and prove you were any good at it. You could afford to take a punt because it hadn't cost you anything much.
    What's changed is the glut of pointless degrees and the cost of training for anything.
    What's this £30K offer replacing? Why was it necessary?

10. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

On the one hand they do this, and on the other they say anyone can teach...we have classes timetabled with TAs in ks3. I am failing to see the bigger picture here.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'm sure there's something I'm missing here. They're striving to make Britain as competitive on the world stage as possible and they say we need graduates to achieve this. Next thing you know, they're after the brightest and best graduates to become teachers.

How does that work in making the nation competitive?

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Exactly the point.

13. darklord11

darklord11 Occasional commenter

It's the bribe the government are using to help fill the shortage of teachers, but these bright young things will simply leave in time either burnt out or disillusioned with the whole teaching profession.

14. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

There's always a bribe when the teaching pool dries up, we should be pleased since to recruit and retain staff they will eventually have to succumb to pay rises once again... if not the breathing on a cold mirror interview!

15. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I'm not sure Noja, but in theory wouldn't it be at least what they'd be paying in supply staff?

16. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

You have a first in Physics.

What does kind of advice might you get?

Working hours and conditions
    You would usually work 37 to 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday.

You could work in a laboratory, workshop or factory, or outdoors carrying out fieldwork. You may have to wear protective clothing for some jobs to prevent contamination and contact with hazardous substances. Fieldwork is likely to involve travel and working away from home, possibly for weeks or months at a time.

Income
    Funded PhD research students starting out can be awarded around £14,000 a year while they study.

Starting salaries can be between £21,000 and £25,000 a year.

Postdoctoral researchers or research fellows may earn from £29,000 to £36,000 a year.

A research scientist in industry could earn from £23,000 to £42,000 a year.

University lecturers may earn around £35,000 a year. Professors and senior staff in research institutions and industry could earn up to £70,000 or more.

Figures are intended as a guideline only.

Would you pick teaching?

Look at the reference this is taken from. The national careers service on the gov.UK web site.

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/physicist.aspx

17. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I would and then leave after a suitable time. That's why its called Teach First then leave with a pile of dosh - could be a super head and leave with more

sabrinakat likes this.
  18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's not just that - I don't know any decent teacher who is motivated by the money. Sure, we all like a decent salary and would love to be paid more but good teachers are driven by job satisfaction not bribes. I think many teachers would take an end to Ofsted over a modest payrise and yet they think the way to recruit is by trumpeting unsustainable pay? It's utter incompetence and misunderstanding on the part of the government.

-myrtille-, Noja and cissy3 like this.
  19. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Making high academic qualifications a prerequisite for getting on a teaching course is counter-productive. Trying to make all teachers PhDs, or to have Firsts, does not guarantee good teaching, as others have said. In my experience these two going together is unusual. It does not help retention either, as when the economy improves they will be gone. Those who might make better teachers will be excluded.

TCSC47 likes this.
  20. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I know lots of excellent teachers who have excellent degrees and/or a PhD. I don't have a problem with trying to tempt them into teaching. My issue is the idea that money will be the key advantage and that Teach First implies that teaching is a temporary, transient thing when many pupils in the worst schools need consistency.

cissy3 likes this.