1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

£30,000 for new teachers...what about the rest of us?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by hbee1, Dec 13, 2019.

1. hbee1

hbee1 New commenter

So now that we know that we are definitely having a Conservative majority, so they can get their policies through easily, let's look at one of the major issues that BJ has put forward - a £30,000 starting salary for NQTs and new teachers. Whilst this is great (I think), teacher recruitment isn't the issue, and large starting salaries aren't the way to fix it.

Being completely naive/optimistic, say this does work - what about the rest of us in teaching? Will we get pay rises in line with the new starting salary?

I just wanted to know your thoughts!

BetterNow likes this.
  2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

£30,000?
    Haven’t read the policy but
    Is that just for the first year?
    If for longer would it be subject to standard pay rises or just be static for x years.?
    If NQTs leave after say 2 years ( or whatever the average is) is it going to be that expensive?
    I wonder what conditions would come with it.
    eg Will money be saved be reducing the support for NQTs eg contact time, mentoring?
    Will this be mandatory or up to schools to decided pay level?
    Is this to come out of existing school budgets?

I can see lots of ways this could be ‘implemented’ whilst not being implemented.
    Govt scores great victory in supporting teachers
    Schools blamed for not implementing it

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

strawbs and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I would imagine that any teacher paid below the £30k threshold will be topped up. It would make sense. If they weren’t, then I could see that a number of teachers would leave.