1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

£30,000 by 2022

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by bramblesarah, Sep 2, 2019.

1. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

Hi all,
    I hope you have heard the news that M1 pay is going up to £30,000 a year. That means at least £154 and £30 an hour.
    What affect do you think that will have on the supply teaching game? Do you think we will be paid a proper wage or do you think there will be less work and more cover supervisor roles?
    I would actually consider going back one day a week for the increase in pay.
    Would like tempt any of you back to a perminant role?

2. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

No until 2022/3
    There will be at least 2 general elections by then - plus spending cuts when promised Brexit Bonus becomes a deficit

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I wonder if they intend to put London wages up as well or just make it into one scale. Also no comment on the other parts of the pay scale. Perhaps the intention is to make the scale narrower to 2 or 3 points?

FrauRussell, les25paul and pepper5 like this.
  4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I think that will be the more likely outcome.

Supply teaching pay became poor over the years (it never always was) and one of the reasons I gave it up. But the nature of the job itself was not what it used to be and was another major reason I got out of it.

It will take more then a pay rise (which I don't believe will happen anyway) to tempt me back,

JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Way to go before that actually happens. Political announcement (there's an election coming! :) ). It says:

Salaries for new teachers are set to rise to £30,000 by 2022-23.....

Mr Williamson will set out his proposal to increase teachers’ starting salaries by up to £6,000 in a remit letter to the School Teachers’ Review Body (STRB), asking for their recommendations on raising the starting salaries of new teachers as well as next year’s pay award.

It'll be quite a while before he asks STRB to come up with the details and when he does ask them read the small print carefully!

And if Williamson is genuine about wanting to pay teachers more why is he delaying this until September 2022 - three years away? The annual cycle for reviewing teacher pay for September 2020 hasn't started yet. The increase could easily start from 2020 if Williamson had wanted to....

JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

What % of schools will be academies by then and don't have to offer the payscale?

7. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

Well it would give me a chance for a job! As someone who’s meant to be on ups 2 I wouldn’t drop to NQT salary of 24k. However I’d drop to 30k against someone newly qualified!!

I’ll believe it when I see it and right now, I don’t.

FrauRussell and pepper5 like this.
  8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I see it as little more than blatant electioneering, a way of convincing the middle class floating voter that Boris is worth a vote. The only consolation for me is that the bottom-end schools that pay me a lot for supply because they can't attract 'proper' teachers will still be stuffed as any money won't get beyond the leafy suburbs, assuming the treasury lets it go anyway.

FrauRussell and pepper5 like this.
  9. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

I don't see what that would do with the amount of supply work available. However, money and salary is just a small part of what what is wrong with schools. I wouldn't put money on it attracting more teachers because there will be paperwork and with a larger salary, there will be more paperwork. There is also the behaviour, the long hours. I wouldn't bet against teacher holidays being trimmed and be expected to do more in the holidays. Besides, just like what some have said, academies don't have to go by the salary scale.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  10. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

Law of unintended consequences.

We all go "yaaayyy" and vote for Boris. Academies pay **** money anyway,

This will result in more minimum wage pro-rata non-teachers being hired.

11. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

Yep, that's how it'll be. It's amazing the way the qts drum is banged, the hoops o jump for qts, the performance management cycle if the teacher to prove yourself and all that, and how it is so easily and frequently **** up on from great height with the installation of cover super visors. It's a hypocritical laughable joke really, the continual demands on the already qualified to prove themselves worthy to be in the classroom yet at a moments notice they will swap you for an un qualified cover supervisor. It does not make any sense whatsoever from the perspective if educating, people actually learning and all that. I think cover supervisors are fools, fools for taking the work, at such a lowly rate of pay... Surely they should be scratching their heads at it? My daily is bear two or three times their rate.... For the same job, there's been a lot of good winking going on in education the last however long, and I'll tell you it didn't start in 2010, a lit of the rubbish had already been set in motion by then, but it's easier always to blame thd tories. Labour begun acadwmisatiin, but then gm schools and ctc s were the proto type experimental phase of all that.... The unions also sleep walked twachwrs into this rubbish... "rarely cover" remember that, well isn't it rarely cover that paved the way for the cover supervisors.... And here's another one, dunno if its a thing, yes it is, undef a different guise... The corridor sweepers, yoj know, the staff employed to patrol corridors, putting kids back in class? How did this become even a thing at all in an age where more tlrs and slt places were created in certain. Schools, I've seen the top heavy slt schools, and not one if them on that. Scale being a firm face for behavior. All scurrying into offices, hiding here there and everywhere that they might have to dk a bit if dirty work on a kid, dirty work on staff, they were always up for.
    But whst need to employ people on that corridor sweeping patrol? Where dud that come from? Wasn't that an slt job patrolling corridors, but there yoj have if, slt now have naughty teachers to watch, that's become their job. Total farce.
    Insukt. I'm disgruntled. Taking a day to disgrunt myself before cutting the cord, and a new ribbon of opening. Peopleike me have no place in these schools any more. That's very sad, because I've brought a lot of joy and interest to kuds in permanent and supply teaching coz Altho I'm from the bog (as good as chalked a big trotter, actually a spud muncher by a nasty dh way back when) I'm not your bog standard standard. I am as I am with high standards, but I was forced to stand alone. I watched colleagues get supported with behaviour issues while I had "can I have a word about thus petty incident... Its gojng on your file now, we are watching yoj" seriously, I saw one rule for one and ended up takknv beubg swirn at and insulted as thd standard standard, as management did nothing when I reported it, absolutely no support. But any way. I'm coming for them one by one. Let's jyst say I'd forgotten and though I'd healed from it, but somethibg triggered in me, and it wing leave now, I took petmanent work a few years after, but had to leave when I just felt a bitg of threat, they weren't after me, but the 6 years of bullying and thd out one it had fir my health, I can it risk that again, so, I will not raj's permanent work on the mainscale again at any salary. No siree I will not, because of what they did. And now, I won't be taking supply again, for them to take the pee and replace me at a minutes notice with an unqualified cover supervisor. They are welcome to it all.
    Its a lie is all it is... Yeah, they will attract them thru teacher trainibg doors ", tax free bursaries and a tidy starting salary, they'll keep a few of them on the promise of rapid promotion, before they are ready, power go to their heads, and then they never have to pay full experience salaries, top of the scale stuff to many because they've succeeded in creating a revolting revolving door of teaching. It's rare I see people older than myself in schools now, kids teaching kids everywhere. Kids running the shows, cover supervisors taking the classes, corners and costs cut on every level and executive principles always out at meet I bgs and conferences collecting their accolades for hitting the targets, the measurable stuff, ie, driving down costs and dumbing down the people, lies upon lies upon lies.
    Yes, I'm very sore over it because what for the one who has given their adult life to it to be so trampled upon, and got up again and again and again and continued while they've tried to keep me down? What for the ordinary class teacher? When they pay hush money and gardening leave and other bonuses to head teachers, what for the ordinary class teacher? There should at least be a cancellation fee in supply!