1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 year rolling plan

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by linsay_jayne, Feb 25, 2012.

1. First year of work in a newly opened pre-school! Anyone have any advice or examples of how to create a 3 year rolling plan?

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

I don't understand why a three year plan would work when the children won't be there for three years!
    What sort of things are you being asked to head so far ahead for?

3. I know the same chlidren won't be there for 3 years, I'm getting a new bunch in September, but i'm getting my inspection carried out soon and have been asked to provide information on my 3 year rolling plan! They would like me to have the next three years set out with roughly planned themes...Have to have different themes, can't use the same from year to year... apart from the obvious, seasons, Christmas etc...

4. Is there a reason why you cannot have the same themes each year? Or is it just someone's whim?

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

I must admit that I'm mystified. Is OFSTED that different in N Ireland?
    Could you let us know the rationale behind what you've been asked to do? Have they even given the smallest nod towards planning from the children's interests?

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Do they want a 3 year plan for learning or do they want a 3 year development plan - how you plan to improve the setting

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

That would make more sense. Sorry if I've misunderstood you.

8. no it's not a development plan... it's an actual plan of learning, themes, topics for the next 3 years, we need to make it vague as to accommodate children's interests, but yes unfortunately we need to have it!
    also we can't use the same themes each year as some of my children started pre-school a year early and so i will have them again next year!

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

But that's two years, not three.

10. I know, but they still ask to see your three year rolling plan [​IMG]

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

You use the word 'theme' so I'm now a bit confused.

12. well theme/topic which ever word you want to use, both the same.. for example: this year the main themes/topics where all about me, hibernation, artic animals, people who help us, plants and animals-growth, under the sea.... also the general things like seasons and any celebrations, halloween, christmas, easter etc...
    However, next year i have to come up with new themes/topics, can still add in the general ones but need different main ones.. need to do this for the next three years

13. Msz

Msz Established commenter

are you sure that's what is being asked for?

14. yeap positive

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

That all sounds a bit, well, random.

Themes and topics aren't quite the same; you can cover the same theme through different topics but I'd expect the underlying themes to be pretty constant.

Question this.

16. In that case I would ask fairly forcefully if I could please do a 2 year plan. A 3 year plan does not make sense. Then I would make a 2 year calendar and plot on it the main seasonal events such as Christmas and Easter and seasonal things around those, such as winter and Spring. I would identify some different activities and stories to use for those topics and divide them up between the two years. I would stick with all about me for Spetember, but do the same - identifying different focuses- for the two years. In the Summer term have moving on and holidays. By the time you've done that the calendars wil be more or less full, and show different focuses for the same topics repeated. The younger children follow year 1, the olders follow year 2, but they have the same theme. Any extra topics you have to slot in- make sure they are very much based in the children's experience - children at this age need to work on topics that are very much rooted in their own experience and environment. That doesn't mean they cannot do topics such as 'Dinosaurs' which they may know about from toys and TV, but you need to think carefully what they will get from such topics which is likely to be skills from activities which feature dinosaurs rather than from learning about dinosaurs per se. They are only 3 and 4 and unlikely to really understand that dinosaurs once existed but don't any more. I can see that a criticism of this sort of plan might be that it seems a bit boring - where's the wow factor etc. but 'wow' factors tend to be for adults, not children. At this age, a worm wiggling into the soil is more 'wow' than a fabulously resourced circus topic or similar.